Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Belmo

Split Grips - Real Performance Improvement or Bling?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I've never really experimented with split grips before, but am contemplating doing so now. I have a couple of builds coming up that might be a good fit for split rear grips, either cork or EVA.

I realize that a rod's aesthetics matter, and "because it looks cool" is a good enough reason to do something. And split grips do look cool. But I wanna know: is there any performance advantage to them? Or do they just look pretty? Does the weight of the rod matter -- might a saltwater rod, even a light saltwater rod, be too heavy for the reduced weight of a split grip to make any difference?

My Fluke rods have split grips, they look nice and contoured properly to how I like to hold the rod and the size of my hands > much more of an improvement over straight. The negative is that the edge of the grip or the area between the split grips will rest on teh edge of the rodholder (top and bottom) and it will scratch the blank/wrap or dig into the grip. My favorite Fluke rod will need me to replace the cork at each end of each split grip after I use it this season.

The weight - I don't think it maters on the rods we build, BALANCE.

I think its a personal preference or "feel" type thing. Some people like the minimal handle materials approach. On my rods I have full cork tape handles and foregrips.

I have built all kinds for people at their requests. Split , cork , neoprene, cork tape , rear grip shrink wrap with cork tape foregrip , all shrink wrap. Shrink wrap with cord under it , Cork tape plus little 3 inch sections of neoprene fore and aft of the reel seat , nothing but a single spiral wrap of non skip floor tape , that flock that chews the heck out of your skin and waders . There are as many preferences in handles are there are ice cream flavors at Baskin Robbins.

I love them for freshwater fishing mostly. For bass and muskie I've definitely noticed a difference. With a split grip handle you get a lighter rod and a better balancing point. One thing I've also noticed is that it forces you to move your hand all the way to the bottom of the rod handle on the cast, giving you more power and comfort. I've also noticed that my sensitivity has increased with split grip handles. To each his own, I suppose.

Any rod being used on rip-rap,jetties or my backyard the cape cod canal should have full length coverage in my opinion.It doesn't matter how careful you are,sooner or later scratches and gouges on the blank occur. It's taken for granted on the canal as many guys,myself included keep a plugging rod stuck in the rocks behind them when jigging, when the fish suddenly break you're ready, rod handles also come in handy as a walking/balancing sticks on them canal rocks. I just put together an ATX 10ft 2-6oz with split corded grips,but will tape between them for protection.