Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishalicious

Casting rod for jigs

6 posts in this topic

I've been researching to purchase a new rod for my freshwater bass arsenal to use when tossing ½oz - 1oz jigs and big spinnerbaits, but I don't want to spend more than $99. I'm partial to more traditional cork grips and 6'6" length. I've narrowed it down to:

1. St. Croix Triumph TRC66MHF
  2. Falcon FC-7-166
  3. Shimano SJC66MHA

A jig rod needs to have a pretty stiff tip to avoid hang ups. Anyone have experience with any of these models? I'm leaning HEAVILY toward the St. Croix, as I think it's the best value of the bunch, and maybe a little more versatile than the Falcon.

I like a little more limber tip to make pitching just a little easier and it would make a better spinnerbait rod as well. I much prefer 7' over 6' 6". It makes all the difference on hook set.

I like a little more limber tip to make pitching just a little easier and it would make a better spinnerbait rod as well. I much prefer 7' over 6' 6". It makes all the difference on hook set.

According to Bass Dozer, a stiff rod is best for jigging so the tip doesn't sag when the weight hits an obstacle...

"For jig n' pig, for Texas Rigs and Carolina Rigs you need a stiff rod. If your tip is too light when you drag the bait over cover, the weight hangs and when you pull back the rod bends and you are hung. If you have a stiff tip it will not bend and the weight will hop over the obstacle."

I fish from a canoe and john boat. I like the 6'6" length. I'm a bit wary about the 7' being a little unwieldy.

According to Bass Dozer, a stiff rod is best for jigging so the tip doesn't sag when the weight hits an obstacle...

"For jig n' pig, for Texas Rigs and Carolina Rigs you need a stiff rod. If your tip is too light when you drag the bait over cover, the weight hangs and when you pull back the rod bends and you are hung. If you have a stiff tip it will not bend and the weight will hop over the obstacle."

I fish from a canoe and john boat. I like the 6'6" length. I'm a bit wary about the 7' being a little unwieldy.

I also would suggest getting at least a 7' rod. This helps move more line on the hookset and also helps with casting distance. I think a stiffer/faster action rod is better for jigs but I do like a little bit of a softer rod for spinnerbaits. I don't mean soft like a crankbait rod soft. I would opt for getting something that is just stiff enough for jigs and soft enough for spinnerbaits; but that is personal preference on what is "soft enough" or "stiff enough". Also another thing to think about is that little bit of forgiveness might not help on getting snagged but it will give you a fraction of a second more to make your hookset in some instances where the fish feels the weight and spits the bait.

Yeah I use a fast action Loomis MBR 844C IMX. I have 3 of them and the first one is just slightly more limber than the other 2 which I prefer. They changed the blank slightly after I bought the first one. I have the same rod in 6'6" and when I use it my hook up ratio goes down. I fished 100's of days in canoe's and john boats and float tubes ........6" or a foot is not a factor in handling the rod ......in fact being that low to the water it's even more necessary vs standing in a bass boat.

For a carolina rig I go to a 7.5' flipping stick.

My jig rod is a 6'6" Mojo Jig n Worm. Has tons of backbone and it does second as a back up spinnerbait rod. Definitely worth it to go with a heavy action if your jigging because its not hard to find the slop at all with one.