Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Albiemanmike

Portable garage/shop heater

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I know this has been discussed recently but that thread didn't really answer the safety question.???

So I need a portable heater for my garage so I can work out there in the cold. It is about 500 sq. ft. and putting in a wood burning stove just isn't doable right now. Can you use one of those construction type torpedo heaters either propane or kerosene in a small shop like my garage and not die from the fumes? I don't have many options and cash is kind of limited so I was looking at used ones on Craigslist but don't want to buy something that is going to kill me in the process. The garage has no insulation and is old and draft someone in think that ventilation should not be a big issue.

Well I cant give you a real good answer but, I did pick up that Mr Heater MH18B Portable Big Buddy Heater after reading pretty good reviews.

As far as safety indoors goes, this is advertised on (most) sites as an indoor/outdoor heater. Rated for indoor safety, So I went and used up a few giftcards for bass pro to buy the heater.

However once I gave it a look over at home, there was no mention of indoor safe on the packaging or instructions. Actually instructions say NOT to use indoors. So I did some more GOOGLING around to find out if there were different models for indoor safe. Nope mfg website list only 2 models. A single propane or double propane, ie buddy or big buddy.

So I sent an email to the co. and they replied, though the product is excactly the same, LAW in MA,CA and Canada does not allow to heaters to be marketed or suggested for use indoors.

So its safe to use indoors in 48 states.

I'll likely put in a carbon monoxide detector anyway. Like menioned in the last thread it'll be cheap ins. As all heaters that burn a fuel will have some risk.

I havent got to fire it up yet to give any feedback on performance.

Bottom line as far as safety goes.. if you plan to use any type of fuel burning heat get a detector. Test it, use it.

I know this has been discussed recently but that thread didn't really answer the safety question.???

So I need a portable heater for my garage so I can work out there in the cold. It is about 500 sq. ft. and putting in a wood burning stove just isn't doable right now. Can you use one of those construction type torpedo heaters either propane or kerosene in a small shop like my garage and not die from the fumes? I don't have many options and cash is kind of limited so I was looking at used ones on Craigslist but don't want to buy something that is going to kill me in the process. The garage has no insulation and is old and draft someone in think that ventilation should not be a big issue.

so when you make your choice you'll have to post up how its working out for ya

Well I cant give you a real good answer but, I did pick up that Mr Heater MH18B Portable Big Buddy Heater after reading pretty good reviews.

As far as safety indoors goes, this is advertised on (most) sites as an indoor/outdoor heater. Rated for indoor safety, So I went and used up a few giftcards for bass pro to buy the heater.

However once I gave it a look over at home, there was no mention of indoor safe on the packaging or instructions. Actually instructions say NOT to use indoors. So I did some more GOOGLING around to find out if there were different models for indoor safe. Nope mfg website list only 2 models. A single propane or double propane, ie buddy or big buddy.

So I sent an email to the co. and they replied, though the product is excactly the same, LAW in MA,CA and Canada does not allow to heaters to be marketed or suggested for use indoors.

So its safe to use indoors in 48 states.

I'll likely put in a carbon monoxide detector anyway. Like menioned in the last thread it'll be cheap ins. As all heaters that burn a fuel will have some risk.

I havent got to fire it up yet to give any feedback on performance.

Bottom line as far as safety goes.. if you plan to use any type of fuel burning heat get a detector. Test it, use it.

Let us know how it works for ya - a 'review' if you will of that Big Buddy

I use a small kerosene heater in my basement workshop. I found this little one called an Aladdin Blue Flame at a yardsale a few years ago that works nice, warm and burns about a gallon every 12-15hrs. No smoke/fumes and its completely silent. It's been useful during power outages too. I have a CO detector in the basement, only a few feet away, and it's never set the thing off.

so when you make your choice you'll have to post up how its working out for ya

Let us know how it works for ya - a 'review' if you will of that Big Buddy

Will do...hopefully sometime this weekend...

A properly burning propane heater does not produce carbon monoxide. It it burns lean or rich, it does. If you're going to use one in an enclosed space, make sure you know what a proper burning flame looks like. If it's burning improperly, you should be able to see it. I'd have two CO alarms, one to back up the other.

I just got an electric space heater at Lowes, and it keeps my bedroom warm enough without running the furnace. It takes time to warm up the room, and it won't bring the room up to 70 degrees, but it's safe.

I use a small kerosene heater in my basement workshop. I found this little one called an Aladdin Blue Flame at a yardsale a few years ago that works nice, warm and burns about a gallon every 12-15hrs. No smoke/fumes and its completely silent. It's been useful during power outages too. I have a CO detector in the basement, only a few feet away, and it's never set the thing off.

was this unit ready to go after you bought it ??

or did you need to do some level of maintenance first ??

Mike,

A torpedo heater is not a good fit for a garage shop, they require too much ventilation. My heater was a 150K BTU model and to use it in a 26x30 garage I had to leave the garage door open about two feet to avoid getting a headache and getting watery eyes. In a building under contruction that was at least a thousand square feet there was enough leeks to run it but I used a remote T-stat so it didn't run constantly. A propane powered radiant heater would probably be best in your applcation because it could warm the area it's pointed at almost immediately with out the long warmup that a convection heater would require. Another benefit of a  radiant heater is that it's quiet. Working around a torpedo heater is like being behind an F-15 getting ready for takeoff.

Nice Aladdin heater, i've got 3 of them but don't use them that much. Do a google search on them and get a wick trimmer for it, its very important to keep that wick trimmed at the correct angle. Look for a Miles Stair on the google search he has parts and wicks.

was this unit ready to go after you bought it ??

or did you need to do some level of maintenance first ??

Thankfully it was in almost perfect condition when I found it. The only thing I had to do was cut the old, stuck wick (a common problem if they're left to sit too long) off and replace it with a new one. Dumped old fuel and added fresh.

Nice Aladdin heater, i've got 3 of them but don't use them that much. Do a google search on them and get a wick trimmer for it, its very important to keep that wick trimmed at the correct angle. Look for a Miles Stair on the google search he has parts and wicks.

Hi Steve, when I got the heater it came with five extra wicks and the wick trimmer. Thanks for the tip on Miles Stair, I know where I'll go for spare parts now. He even has the little mica windows.

Look for a used pellet stove. Minimal chimney and very warm! No CO issues either

Dunno if I'd go saying that. You are pretty much burning saw dust which still gives off CO when you burn it.