Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
acrylic painter

What's in the Navesink?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Driving northbound on the Route 35 bridge over the Navesink River today, I looked to my right and was startled to see dimples on the water all the way from the Red Bank side to the Middletown shore. Not splashy like bunker but almost like a trout would make sipping a dry fly off the surface. There were dozens of them going continuously over a large area. Any idea what would be causing them?

The

Navesink is currently full of clams. Jan 12, 2012. Outside, along the MOCO beaches ther be striped bass

Look for the full parning lots from Elboron north to the Monmouth Beach Club for activity.

You go girl!

Like Eric S said, ducks, most likely Buffleheads. Though I have seen herring in the creeks this time of year sometimes breaking the surface and others just swirling. But, most likely small diving ducks.

acrylic painter, did you see any ducks on the surface?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartopper View Post

Like Eric S said, ducks, most likely Buffleheads. Though I have seen herring in the creeks this time of year sometimes breaking the surface and others just swirling. But, most likely small diving ducks.

I'd go with the first thought that cartopper shared.  I wouldn't have known that herring might still be around, but more than once I've found what I believe you are describing:  swirls the size of an end of a coffee can.  I've seen this more than once in the surf and threw small stuff to catch one to find out what the were.  Any that I caught were not the Atlantic Herring (blue-backs), but they were herring.  You mentioned "... almost like a trout would make sipping a dry fly off the surface." It sounds like this too.  If you find this against the beach, on a clam water day, try throwing a large gray and white Redfin just beyond them.  icon14.gif

If they are really white perch, you've seen about all you'll want to.  I've learned from this site that white perch can be some really, really ugly fish.  wink.gif

Nessy. It was multiple nessy's.

I don't think Atlantic herring and bluebacks are the same fish. Maybe im wrong

Your right DBK The two species that spawn in fresh water and then return tothe Ocean ar alewife and blueback herring. they have deeper bodies than the all salt Atlantic Herring.

We saw Atlantic Brant, Broadbills, buffleheads, four fat male Mallards and two pairs of swans. The Greenheads and the swans were hanging out at the Rumson ramp looking for had outs. The swans who are usually aggressive, nasty bustards were so laid back and used to humans they swam over and stuk their heads in my boat as I cranked it bak on the trailer. The clamming was good. I'm hoping to get out this weekend, but if it stays cold we will wait on that thought.

Ran into a kayaker the other day at MBC and he said he caught a couple of shorts and watched some gannets bomb bait about 500 yards off shore.