Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oneofour

Lake Placid Guide Recommendations

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

This year from July 15 through July 22nd my family and I will be traveling up to Lake Placid. I want to take this time to take advantage of some quality fishing opportunities.

I have always wanted to catch pike so I would love to find a guide who can help me accomplish this, but due to the season I would also consider other species that are good to catch like Lakers/trout and smallies etc.

If the trout fishing is as amazing as I hear on the Ausable I would like to maybe find a guide for this. One or the other. The rest of my time fishing will be spent on my own time experimenting.

Basically if anyone has a guide service they have used in the past that they could recommend would be great. Also a suggested target species.

I have read some previous threads about the brewery and restaurants but every tip is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Many years ago I lived in Lake Placid. (part of 1979 and again in 1983). I floated the Saranac River several times and caught pike. Not giants- biggest maybe 30". It was really easy to do as I recall- many canoe put ins/take outs. A slow moving river that is casual to fish.

There are numerous smaller rivers/streams that have great trout fishing. Not to say that the Ausable isn't good- it is. Just don't overlook the smaller stuff.

I can't offer any advice as far as guides go. I was more concerned at that point in my life where my next meal was coming from.:D

Look up Bill Stahl from Wilmington. He's on ******** as Adirondack Flyfishing. He'll put you on trout in the Ausable, pike and bass in warmer waters nearby, and if you want to get prehistoric, you can try out bowfin on Lake Champlain.