Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishLava2MTK

Water proof camera for surf fishing

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

I used the olympus tough TG-310 this past year, in both fresh and saltwater (on the beach) its gotten soaked, ive used it to take pictures under water also. I've dropped it a few times, usually just throw it in a pocket and go, it doesnt get man handled but it isnt babied at all, i have no complaints except there are times i wish it had a little more zoom has only 3.6x optical, but overall i like it a lot and would definitely recommend it, its not expensive either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaldsk View Post

I used the olympus tough TG-310 this past year, in both fresh and saltwater (on the beach) its gotten soaked, ive used it to take pictures under water also. I've dropped it a few times, usually just throw it in a pocket and go, it doesnt get man handled but it isnt babied at all, i have no complaints except there are times i wish it had a little more zoom has only 3.6x optical, but overall i like it a lot and would definitely recommend it, its not expensive either.

Thanks I just checked it out. Nice looking camera and very affordable

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan25 View Post

Do an internet search for Go Pro Cameras. One of the best waterproof cameras on the market in my opinion.

wow thats one sweet looking camera

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotMan25 View Post

Yeah they are pretty cool. Can take video and pics with the same camera which is a nice feature.

Do you happen to have one? If so what model?

Do you happen to have one? If so what model?

I have the HD Hero. There are two models. The HD Hero and the HD Hero2. When you see the different cameras listed such as the HD Hero Surf, all that means is that it has the mounting hardware for a surfboard. So basically you will see a bunch of different ones listed, but that is just the different mounting systems for the cameras. The one I have is the HD Hero Naked which is the basic package. No fancy mounting system or anything like that. Hope this helps.

Some on the market are more for video and some are for taking stills/pics. Which are you planning on doing more? The GoPro has great reviews because it is put to innovative uses as an HD video camera--strapped to helmets, rod grips, T-tops of bay boats, etc. I happen to use the Kodak PlaySport, which does 5MP stills and both 720 and 1080 HD video. I like it a lot. The price is right for a camera I keep in my cargo pocket or clipped to my belt loop while wet wading. It's underwater for hours each time and still works great. The camera is waterproof to 10' deep. Kodak makes another waterproof point-and-shoot camera called the Easyshare Sport that's more for stills, has a higher MP count, but not as high quality of videos.

I just use my iphone with a lifeproof case.

Works like a champ.

Gopro's are amazing cameras but with no digital display with the base camera (they have one for an additional cost and I am not even sure if that makes it more like a standard point and shoot camera) it makes taking stills difficult at first until you get the hang of it. They are very awesome cameras though for the size.

Take a look at the Panasonic lumix DMc-ts3. I have the riot generation and it is unbelievable. I have swam to far off rocks with it dropped it on jetties and used it in below freezing weather steelhead fishing all with no issues and it takes great pics.

I haven looked at the go pro in about a year but at the time you couldn't take pics at night with it. It didn't have Flash or night vision capabilities so for most of my fishing it was worthless.

There are a lot more options then I thought. Now I have to do some research. I think one of my main factors will be price. As long as its waterproof and takes a decent pic I will be happy. I will be taking more still shots then video recording. I tend to keep my gear in good condition and will probably just keep the camera in the chest pocket of my surf jacket so durability should not be an issue.