Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R.R. Bridge Fisher

toilet question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

What can i put into my toilet tank to clean up the hard water stains or dark water on all the parts in there? My dad used to use a product called red b gone said it worked great but can no longer find it anywhere. any ideas on what to use?

Thanks,

RR

Toilet bowl cleaners that remove mineral stains are acid based. If a vinegar soak (a cup or two) and a little scrubbing don't work, there's a product called The Works that is a stronger acid.

My dad used to use a product called red b gone said it worked great but can no longer find it anywhere.

Red B Gone is great stuff. Google it and you will find a place to buy it on line. I get it for free from the town since Foxborough has iron and magnesium issues in their wells and lines, so they give it to residents for free that request it.

If the parts are cleaned, they might not work anymore, replace the parts.

:th: It makes little sense to clean and put the old parts back in, $15 gets you all new innards.

:v:

:th: It makes little sense to clean and put the old parts back in, $15 gets you all new innards.

:v:

Correct, one of the Deckhands many jobs in life was a plumber. Use a Fluid Master fill valve and take the flapper to the store and match it as perfectly as you can. Leave the chain just a tad slack. The handle if "scrubbed" or cleaned, will be weekend - replace it. Remember, the handle 'nut' goes on backward to the "righty-tighty" thing.

Also, while your at it, put new tank bolts on. The gaskets in them weaken over time. When you are done, remember that cold water in a warm toilet will "sweat" a few drops of water should be expected.

;)

I have the same problem...thinking of moving out of Oxford will solve it ;)

I had my well fixed up and its been good for a while. I put what i paid for the well back into it. I now know a ton about wells