Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJTramcar

For the self employed

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

How did you get your start?

I was laid off at the end of October and frustrated trying to find a new one. Today was a little slice of heaven as I found out leads were filled, openings where I was laid off from aren't coming like I was hoping, money is way to tight and we need too many things fixed. I start a part time job next week so that will help.

I'm just feeling sorry for myself and will be fine in the morning and going back at it in my search full tilt but I hate that I have been laid off twice in five years due to no fault of my own. Both bosses are references and said my work was good but it had to be done.

I was raised to work hard to the best of your ability and that will bring success but now I'm not so sure. I do all that but still get laid off.

So for you that are self employed, how did you decide what you wanted to do and how did you make it happen? I just want to work and take care of my family.

i served many years as an indentured servant then took over the family business with my brother after Dad retired.

what kind of work do you do, now is not really a good time to strike out on your own unless its a high demand field.

I got tired of people controlling my destiny.

If I was going to fail it was not going to be at the hands of people whose intellect and poor work habits would cause me to fail.

I opened my own buisness and have never looked back.

Almost 40 years now. Cause I still want to.

I have busted my ass all my life and am glad of it.

Sorry if i seem to make this all about me, I don't mean to.

Take the shot if you can. I don't know what you do for a living but you may be pleasantly surprised of how little up front money it takes if you are willing to put your labor into it.

I wish you the best of luck !!!

Dennis

I was working in a small motorcycle shop; motorcycles have been my turn-on since I was about 12.

There was a small machine shop a couple of hundred yards down the street.

I would bring motorcycle parts to that machine shop for machining and repair.

I became friends with the machinist and he taught me a little about basic machine shop practice.

He also informed me about what basic equipment - what brands - would work well for me when I bought my own equipment.

Eventually his business expanded, and he would let me do some rough machine work; then he would do the precision finish work.

After that I started doing custom motorcycle work for individuals and other small bike shops.

That's how I got started.

In today's economy, the custom bike rage is nothing like it was so I doubt I could do now what I was doing thirty years ago.

I was laid off at the end of October and frustrated trying to find a new one. Today was a little slice of heaven as I found out leads were filled, openings where I was laid off from aren't coming like I was hoping, money is way to tight and we need too many things fixed. I start a part time job next week so that will help.

I'm just feeling sorry for myself and will be fine in the morning and going back at it in my search full tilt but I hate that I have been laid off twice in five years due to no fault of my own. Both bosses are references and said my work was good but it had to be done.

I was raised to work hard to the best of your ability and that will bring success but now I'm not so sure. I do all that but still get laid off.

So for you that are self employed, how did you decide what you wanted to do and how did you make it happen? I just want to work and take care of my family.

get out there and network - meet with everyone you know, starting with your former industry first, people your respect and continue down the list. And go to networking meetings. Be honest - have your elevator speech - I was most recently doing ________ with _______ and I am currently looking to start my own business.

follow your passion

SBA and SCORE are great resources for writing a business plan (I cannot urge this enough)

Don't avoid something you think has been done before. Everything has been done before- the key is to do something uniquely you.

Once you start your business, write a book - you can do this almost in bullet form and self publish with minimal investment and a quickly as 30 days. It will make you an instant expert

I took the knowledge and experience I gained at my job of 22 years and walked away for the sake of my mental health and started my own business with that knowledge. I make about 10% of what I used to make and don't regret it a second of a minute.

What have you been employed doing?

I took the knowledge and experience I gained at my job of 22 years and walked away for the sake of my mental health and started my own business with that knowledge. I make about 10% of what I used to make and don't regret it a second of a minute.

+1 :th:

Although every once in a while I start to think I might be on the verge of regretting it, then I get busier than a one-armed paper hanger again!

I worked for the YMCA for 20 years and got to where I was the Executive Director running all the day to day operations. I was also a retail manager for 3 years and a Special Events Coordinator for a University for a year and a half. I do small side repair jobs and house painting to make ends meet.

I'm 46 now and just don't feel that it is too late to find something else.

Create a business of exercise activities for toddlers and small children and then sell your classes to child care centers in your area. I know someone that "plays" soccer with the kids for an hour at $25 a week per kid for either two or three times a week with an average of 30 kids at a time. Works roughly four hours a day. Averages $3000 a week for 30 weeks a year.

Create a business of exercise activities for toddlers and small children and then sell your classes to child care centers in your area. I know someone that "plays" soccer with the kids for an hour at $25 a week per kid for either two or three times a week with an average of 30 kids at a time. Works roughly four hours a day. Averages $3000 a week for 30 weeks a year.

Believe it or not you can franchise this. I looked into it and decided to do something else. If you want the link, PM me. I did tennis and golf and wanted to start lacrosse & hockey ages 3-5.

I worked for a family business. I was third generation in a manufacturing concern, and the writing was on the wall. Between Jersey chasing everyone out with gross receipt taxes and the fagginator's EPA and OCEA hit squads....and with China looming on the horizon....I had to make a move.

I shot the moon to give the financial industry a shot and left the business. Figured if you want to make money, follow it. Couldnt be happier.And yes....in every way, shape, form its my own business.