Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lichum

If You Were A Juror, Would You Vote To Convict Or Acquit?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Years ago, PBS produced a show on jury nullification.

I don't remember the show's exact details, but what follows is pretty accurate:

A disadvantaged man with a prior felony conviction bought a private investigator's badge via mail order from a detective-story magazine.

He wanted to be a PI.

Somehow he got a snubby and then he went to the police station to get a permit for it.

He was arrested and charged for illegal possessing a handgun. He was also charged for being a felon in possession of a handgun.

As I recall, the jury refused to convict him

what does him being disadvantaged have anything to do with it? A convicted felon can not own a firearm. And to walk into a police station with it, he should be jailed for his stupidity alone.

what does him being disadvantaged have anything to do with it? A convicted felon can not own a firearm. And to walk into a police station with it, he should be jailed for his stupidity alone.

I think the jury refused to convict him because they felt sorry for him.

I think the jury concluded that although at law he was competent, he really didn't understand what he was doing.

Probably need to defer to Ditch, but my take is this.

Admittedly he did things backwards, should have attempted to get permit first, then buy gun.

That not withstanding, the fact that he attempted to obtain a permit would indicate at a minimum, that he was of the mindset that he had the right to own one, and the jury likely saw the attempt to obtain a permit as an attempt to be within the law, not circumvent it.

BTW, I think it is an incorrect assumption that a felony conviction permanently bars an individual forever from gun ownership, I might be wrong, but in some cases the individual can petition to have the right to bear arms returned to them, depending on the crime involved and status of the individual.

Probably need to defer to Ditch, but my take is this.

Admittedly he did things backwards, should have attempted to get permit first, then buy gun.

That not withstanding, the fact that he attempted to obtain a permit would indicate at a minimum, that he was of the mindset that he had the right to own one, and the jury likely saw the attempt to obtain a permit as an attempt to be within the law, not circumvent it.

BTW, I think it is an incorrect assumption that a felony conviction permanently bars an individual forever from gun ownership, I might be wrong, but in some cases the individual can petition to have the right to bear arms returned to them, depending on the crime involved and status of the individual.

That's right.

why would anyone tell the police they have a gun ? it is none of their business.period.the right to protect ones self does not require paper work & this having to have a special permit is not right.law abiding people dont have guns,the criminals have the guns,they got paper work do you suppose ?thats my belief,thats the way i live.there is a group of outstanding americans currently trying to have this anti-constitutional amendment abolished as well it should.after you get a gun-practice-practice-practice because they dont.

why would anyone tell the police they have a gun ? it is none of their business.period.the right to protect ones self does not require paper work & this having to have a special permit is not right.law abiding people dont have guns,the criminals have the guns,they got paper work do you suppose ?thats my belief,thats the way i live.there is a group of outstanding americans currently trying to have this anti-constitutional amendment abolished as well it should.after you get a gun-practice-practice-practice because they dont.

Ahhh what? Thats quite a rant you got going there. However I think you may have simplified the issue too much

Years ago, PBS produced a show on jury nullification.

I don't remember the show's exact details, but what follows is pretty accurate:

A disadvantaged man with a prior felony conviction bought a private investigator's badge via mail order from a detective-story magazine.

He wanted to be a PI.

Somehow he got a snubby and then he went to the police station to get a permit for it.

He was arrested and charged for illegal possessing a handgun. He was also charged for being a felon in possession of a handgun.

As I recall, the jury refused to convict him

Convict the clown... he's too stupid to live on the outside.

Convict the clown... he's too stupid to live on the outside.

6/21/11 Originally Posted by TLDig

it's a very real problem.

when i was doing fugitive extradition, i heard it all.

people going to jail on purpose, or prison, because they were better off there... three hots, a cot, medical treatment, etc.. more than they could do on the street. a very popular thing was for transgendered people going from male to female.. once they started the hormone treatment outside, the only way they could continue to afford it was to go to prison... once you've begun, you aren't supposed to stop... so they would commit a crime to receive the hormone therapy. sickening.

dentistry was another popular reason for a trip to jail.

and most of all.. people with HIV/AIDS.. who couldn't afford the cocktails on the street. free in prison.

6/21/11 lichum

Years ago in PG, I posted about a career criminal who could not "make it on the outside."

He spent much of his adult life in prison.

Somewhere near Bakersfield CA, he committed a robbery, then went elsewhere, sat down and called police, and waited to be arrested and eventually reincarcerated.

In effect he said he wanted to go back to three hots and a flop.