Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guillotm

Okuma Raw ii

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Paul,

The internals of the Raw II will be the same as in the VSystem, Cedros, etc. You will have a machined brass pinion gear and okuma's high density gearing for your main drive gear and elliptical oscillation gear. The main difference between most of their reels is the number and location of bearings in the reel. With this being said, the Raw II will still fall below the VSystem in terms of smoothness due to less bearings. I called Okuma's part guys and went over it with them as I was curious as to the difference between getting a Raw II or a new VSystem. For example, the VSystem will give you two bearings on the line roller and the Raw II only one. The cedros will utilize bushings instead of bearings in the elliptical oscillation gear and in the spool whereas the VSystem and Raw II will have bearings in both of these places.

One main difference between the VSystem and all of okuma's other spinning reels is that the VSystem will give you a bearing for the main shaft (making it a floating shaft) where the rotor attaches to the body of the reel. None of the other spinners have this, not even the Raw II.

One big difference with the Raw II is that it comes with carbon fiber drag washers to give you more drag. On all my VSystem reels I've replaced the felt washers with carbontex washers and Cal's drag grease so not only are my reels smoother, they have just as much drag power as the Raw II. :D I have all the VSystems from the V-15 on up through the V-65 and they have served me very well fishing from my kayak with multiple dunks and drags through sand and marsh mud. As a matter of fact, the VSystems are the reason I don't own any stradics. When my fishing buddies have their stradics in the shop, my vsystems are still going strong. ;) If you know where to look you can still get a V-55 for $133 (less than the Raw II).

I expect the Raw II to be a good performer for okuma, being able to hang with mid-range reels. :)

Thanks for the wealth of information it really helped. Unfortunately I do not like the look of the Vsystem, the white has never been to pleasing with me regarding reels. Thank you for the information regarding the floating spool, is this something that could be upgrade on the Raw ii? Thanks in advance for your help.

They are upgrading the Raw II to fix a few issues and I have one now that I am field testing. I think they have a few more tweaks and it will be a good SW reel for the money, able to give the battle a run for its money.

I saw this reel too and liked the look. I have not heard any negative comments on the Cedros and assumed this was a next gen reel based on it. I'd like to hear more after your fieldtest Shipwreck...

Unfortunately I do not like the look of the Vsystem, the white has never been to pleasing with me regarding reels.

Okay, let me get this straight... we, as fishermen, go out and get muddy, slimey, and fish blood and guts all over us. At the end of a successful day of fishing we stink to high heaven. We are repulsive to our wives and anyone else who comes into smelling range of us. In spite of this, we are stoked because we had a great day fishing! :th: And you are worried about what your reel looks like? :D I never knew we were supposed to be out making a fashion statement. :p

Give me good functional gear and I'm happy. (hehe)

They are upgrading the Raw II to fix a few issues and I have one now that I am field testing. I think they have a few more tweaks and it will be a good SW reel for the money, able to give the battle a run for its money.

I'm seeing a couple of places saying they are already in stock , the 30 and 40 at least , are these good to go ?

Only complaint I have about the Okuma VSystem reels is the anti-reverse. I'm not up on the internals, but I've found that a dunking causes the AR to fail. First time it happened fighting a fish it was quite a surprise, and since then I've noted it being intermittent any time the reel has taken a bath. Sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesn't.

Only complaint I have about the Okuma VSystem reels is the anti-reverse. I'm not up on the internals, but I've found that a dunking causes the AR to fail. First time it happened fighting a fish it was quite a surprise, and since then I've noted it being intermittent any time the reel has taken a bath. Sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesn't.

Same thing on the Okuma I just bought for steelhead fishing. The AR didn't last 3 steelhead.

Interesting. I use the V-55 for fishing offshore in my kayak. Mine are getting dunked often in surf launches or accidentally when landing a fish. Never have any probs, and this is on 20-30 lb bull reds, 20-30 lb aj's, and 5' blacktips.

Curious to find out how you are servicing/cleaning your reels? I use CorrosionX HD inside my one way (anti-reverse) bearings

Sorry, please don't judge me I am so superficial when it comes to women and fising equipment......lol:D

:th:

:)

Why design an ugly product?

:th: Make it beautiful. :th:

sgd. Aesthete