Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Highlander1

Pancake Mix- Need recipes/ideas

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

My wife has been buying Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) packaged mix for buttermilk pancakes and its a great mix, however, its costly at around $8 a package which is good for a large breakfast order in my house.

Anyway, looking for Buttermilk Pancake recipes and tips.

2 cups (10oz by weight) flour. I go 50/50 whole wheat/all purpose mix. You can also go 50/50 with crushed graham crackers for a special treat.

2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspons baking soda

2 tablespoons sugar (brown sugar is nice)

1/2 tablespoon salt

Whisk all together

2 cups butter milk (milk & juice from 1/2 lemon) - let sit on counter for 10 minutes to do its thing.

1 egg, beaten.

3 tablespoons melted butter (or veg oil)

Add the wet to the dry and stir to combine, but not a lot. It can still be a little lumpy. Just don't work it till its smooth.

This should yield around a dozen to 15 pancakes. I use a 1 oz ladle to measure to the griddle

Add the wet to the dry and stir to combine, but not a lot. It can still be a little lumpy. Just don't work it till its smooth.

This is the MOST IMPORTANT part........pancake mix should be lumpy.....if it is not, you have over worked the batter and the gluten will start to be worked, making for tough pancakes. The less stirring you can get away with just to bring the wet and dry together, the better.

Krusteaz is pretty good packaged mix...it has a distinctive (kinda sweet) flavor, but they're very light.

I like House Autry biscuit mix with a little sugar added. It has dehydrated shortening flakes throughout which adds body and is quite tasty. Mix in all kinds of stuff, basically 50/50 for variations.

keep it simple ala Alton brown

Ingredients

6 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (check expiration date first)

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 tablespoon kosher salt

2 tablespoons sugar

Directions

Combine all of the ingredients in a lidded container. Shake to mix.

Use the mix within 3 months.

"INSTANT" PANCAKES:

2 eggs, separated

2 cups buttermilk

4 tablespoons melted butter

2 cups "Instant" Pancake Mix, recipe above

1 stick butter, for greasing the pan

2 cups fresh fruit such as blueberries, if desired

Heat an electric griddle or frying pan to 350 degrees F. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.

Whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the melted butter.

Combine the buttermilk mixture with the egg yolk mixture in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the pancake mix. Using a whisk, mix the batter just enough to bring it together. Don't try to work all the lumps out.

Check to see that the griddle is hot by placing a few drops of water onto to the griddle. The griddle is ready if the water dances across the surface.

Lightly butter the griddle. Wipe off thoroughly with a paper towel. (No butter should be visible.)

Gently ladle the pancake batter onto the griddle and sprinkle on fruit if desired. When bubbles begin to set around the edges of the pancake and the griddle-side of the cake is golden, gently flip the pancakes. Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the pancake is set.

Serve immediately or remove to a towel-lined baking sheet and cover with a towel. Hold in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes.

I'm not picky about my pancakes. I use either Betty Crocker Complete Buttermilk Pancake mix (just add water), or Log Cabin All Natural Pancake Mix (add egg, milk & oil). I think I prefer the Log Cabin. Either case, I always add a teaspoon of almond or coconut extract. Btw, I prefer my pancakes thin verse the thick version that's shown on the packages.

I used to use a trick for fluffy pancakes where I would whip some egg whites, and a TB of water per white, into a merange and fold that into the mix. really worked great for making light and airy pancakes. If I'm using a package, it's Hungry Jack extra fluffy, barely mixed. I don't eat them, but the kids like 'em.