Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

Spring (light) spinning set up suggestions

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

gotta pick up a light set up this winter for the spring, dont like the one I have (abu record 60HC and a lighter 9' star rod) thinking an 8' rod...but havent given it much thought as of yet...

Thinking of going cheap and just getting a small penn reel and maybe an airwave because it will only be used in the spring for the upper bay...but not married to that idea yet...

this rod will, however, double as a redfish set-up for south carolina so it will get an extra 3 weeks or so of use down there every year...wont be throwing anything over 2, probably not over 1.5 (mambo's, plastics, small wood swimmers etc)

What say you?

My light/casting setup is a Shimano teramar with a 4000 saros and I also put the 4000 stradic. The Saros has been great and held up very well the past 3 years and isn't as expensive as the stradic, although the older model stradics are on sale everywhere. The teramar is light, sensitive and has enough back bone to turn a fish when needed. Around a 100 bucks but I bought mine when I found a sale for 80.

I had the 8ft airwave and loved it, 3/4-3oz 2 piece. Its sweet spot was 1 - 1.5oz, could handle 2 oz but i wouldnt have trusted it for much more than that. I eventually broke it at the connection setting the hook on a fish in current, but def got my moneys worth and really gave it a beating over the few years i had it. Upgraded to a Lami 8ft one piece that i got a good deal on and cant wait to toss that this spring. But the airwave matched with a penn sargus or even battle is a good match up for relatively cheap money.

If you don't mind a 1-pc, the 8 or 8.5 St Croix Tidemaster is a nice light-to-medium saltwater rod. I think a little faster action than the Airwave, but also more $$$. Nuthin wrong withe Airwave though.

-bd

thats one of the things, not sure I can go back to a 2 piece rod....

cost isnt a huge consideration, within reason....

just hesitant to spend a bunch of $ on a set up thats really only used for a month and a half, maybe 2 months tops..per year...

I'm very pleased with my St. Croix Truimph 8' 1/2 to 2 1/2 oz w/ a 710Z on it. Unless I'm going for early season bass at the WW, there I use a fresh water set-up because there probably won't be any bigger fish mixed in.

Remember the Quantum Blue runner inshore?I've got one in spinning.Great lil rod.7 ft, 10-25 #,sold at the same place.

I've got a Shimano Saros 4000f on mine,and it's a great light setup.I wouldn't want to fight a 14 # blue with it,but for the fishing you and I did in the Kinger last year,it works great.:)

I'm very pleased with my St. Croix Truimph 8' 1/2 to 2 1/2 oz w/ a 710Z on it. Unless I'm going for early season bass at the WW, there I use a fresh water set-up because there probably won't be any bigger fish mixed in.

had a triumph a while back, but it was a 10'er...stiff as all hell if I remember correctly?

I was thinking of that exact rod, Bob, and picked one up for the abu record out of the boat....but think I would like (minimum) an 8'er for some of the upper bay spring spots i hit from shore..

Paul- what did that Lami set you back?

If your going to Icebergs i have a tica Dolphin 7 or 8 but its 2 piece you can try it to see how it feels before you buy .. I got it for up here when the stripers chace the shad .. The only thing it has a small reel seat so i got the matching reel .. A penn 650m wouldnt fit

I was thinking of that exact rod, Bob, and picked one up for the abu record out of the boat....but think I would like (minimum) an 8'er for some of the upper bay spring spots i hit from shore..

Paul- what did that Lami set you back?

Oh.Well then go **** yourself.:mad:

Or,check Cabelas.I found a 7'6 convench "Tourney Trail" in the bargain room for $29.I imagine they make something similar in spinning,and at 8 ft.:D

No this one isn't; I had a Mojo 1-4oz that I didn't like for that exact reason though. :)

had a triumph a while back, but it was a 10'er...stiff as all hell if I remember correctly?