Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alferd Packer

Nice and sunny today...

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Question from the newbie. Given there isn’t any snow in the mountains, the prospects of a big spring/ summer flush of the delta like last year seems to be pretty remote. Could anybody suggest what this may mean for striper fishing along the beaches in a few months? Thanks, just trying to learn….

you don't need rain theres fish to be had along the beaches you just need a boatload of luck and alot of extra time heard of a 27" and 24" caught recently on the same day by the same guy by the way he was baitfishing in the surfline

Thanks for the feed back. So let me generalize this a bit. Are there any differences between high and low snow-pack years?

YES!!!...a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!....Large freshwater runoff, means the salinity/freshwater mixing zone of the bay is quite further located (nearer Golden Gate Bridge) than a normal year ( Carquinez Strait/ Martinez Bridge), This means the baitfish usually that enter the bay (Anchovies/Sardines) hold offshore longer until the freshwater content of the bays waters are reduced to a level more condusive to the bait fishes tolerance zone. This high freshwater content of the bay's waters bodes well for the surf fisherman, as it concentrates the striped bass population OUTSIDE!! the bays waters along, the local ocean beaches. Fish (any fish) seek baitfish....Find the baitfish....Find the fish.....there is a reason Mike 415 was catching Leopard sharks in Suisun Bay in January....NO freshwater runoff!!!...HIGH SAlinity!!....Mark

Last year the fish hung up in the spawning area much longer, then caught the high flow tides right out of the bay (to where all the bait was...)

The late Spring/early Summer fishing in the bay was tough (for me) to say the least. The bay Potluck fishing was a complete bust.

Low water years mean less water to stimulate the fish to spawn, so they push into the bay (and stay) much earlier.

Keep in mind, there are still fish around, as some seem to take up 'residence'.

There are a few regulars on this forum that know this pattern much better than I...

Perhaps they will offer up a little insight?? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iverfish View Post

Last year the fish hung up in the spawning area much longer, then caught the high flow tides right out of the bay (to where all the bait was...)

The late Spring/early Summer fishing in the bay was tough (for me) to say the least. The bay Potluck fishing was a complete bust.

Low water years mean less water to stimulate the fish to spawn, so they push into the bay (and stay) much earlier.

Keep in mind, there are still fish around, as some seem to take up 'residence'.

There are a few regulars on this forum that know this pattern much better than I...

Perhaps they will offer up a little insight?? biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Keep it coming ya'll