Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
landwave

Shop set up question

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am working out of a shed in the yard as there's no room anywhere else. The shed is 8x10, so it's tight. I was given an old school crftsmen lathe. here's my question. How well can they take the weather? I was thinking of mounting the lathe to the outside of the shed. I would be building a roof and walls and doors that would open up full length. I would shingle it and make the whole thing weather tight. The bed on the lathe is cast iron, would it be able to take the cold?

I am working out of a shed in the yard as there's no room anywhere else. The shed is 8x10, so it's tight. I was given an old school crftsmen lathe. here's my question. How well can they take the weather? I was thinking of mounting the lathe to the outside of the shed. I would be building a roof and walls and doors that would open up full length. I would shingle it and make the whole thing weather tight. The bed on the lathe is cast iron, would it be able to take the cold?

Yup. My lathe is in my garage. It's detached and not insulated. Freezing in fact. Been in there over 2 years. Just spray a little WD-40 on the rails to stave off rust. You should anyways. The cold may make it run a little sluggish at first. Mine does at least. at least when it's in the teens.

I would think the belt wouldn't like the cold too much.

So far so good on the PSI......I was turning in some real cold weather last winter. Space heaters are a lie.