Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
South Jersey Al

Help with light spinning

13 posts in this topic

So I got my brand new light rod (good brand name) and a compatible reel (good brand name) put on 6 # test Trilene and proceeded to go give it a test drive. Almost immediately, line started coming off the reel in all directions. Figured I have over-filled it so took some off. Same problem. There was some wind, but not a gale. I had tangles like I've never seen before. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

I've always found that freshly spooled mono needs a couple of days on its new home until it starts to behave. Mono has memory and just spooled line wants to un-coil to the size it was on the spool it just came from.

What model/size reel? Small reels like 500 or 750 sizes just make it worse.

a. leave it on for a few days

b. take your spool off and soak it in hot or very warm water for a little while.

Both will give it memory to the new spool and it wont want to go back to its old ways.

When I put mono on my reels I make sure their is enough friction to get the line hot. This way it heats the line up and helps the line sit nice. It works for me.

Wouldn't that compromise the integrity of the line? I know mono doesn't do to well left in a car during the summer.

Al, what kind of Trilene did you get? The XL is usually pretty good with not having too much memory.

When you fill your reel, keep the line on a peg and let the line spin off the spool. If you let the line pull off the spool by just having it lay flat on the floor, you'll put loops in your line. Loops cause problems like you're having.

It was XL line, but I think Boris nailed it. I know better than to do it that way but had a brain cramp. I'll refill it the right way and, just to be sure, take Koofy's advice and put the spool in some warm water for a bit. Thanks to all for your help.

1. KVD Line and Lure Conditioner.

2. Warm water as stated above.

3. Let line out behind the boat while trolling and reel it back on, the tension of the water will keep it tight and put it on nicely.

4. Do NOT close the bail by turning the reel handle. Get in the habit of closing the bail manually to avoid putting loops in the line.

1) Yes friction and pinching the line to create tension will cause damage.

2) By leaving the mono on for a day or 2. It will not solve the problem. more memory will occur.

Heres what you do.

Place the spool on the floor or in a warm bucket of water. When you turn your reel handle, the line should go on in the same direction. Chances are the line will be coming off of the spool in a counter clockwise rotation.

Do not over fill the spool

The warm water will soften up the line a bit.

Other causes:

Could be reacting to the cold weather

lure might be spinning

when using an inline spinner or spoon, are you using a swivel to cut down on the twisting of the line?

Are you reeling against the drag?

That should cover the basics..

Good luck, John

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPSmanMatt View Post

1. KVD Line and Lure Conditioner.

2. Warm water as stated above.

3. Let line out behind the boat while trolling and reel it back on, the tension of the water will keep it tight and put it on nicely.

4. Do NOT close the bail by turning the reel handle. Get in the habit of closing the bail manually to avoid putting loops in the line.

i use #2 & 3.  if you dont have a boat or will not be fishing off one you can just take your line a go to a field, leave the rod on the ground or have a buddy hold it.  take all the line out and reel it back in across the grass.  this should take out most if not all of the twist.