Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinambition

Trolling

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

Trolling. It's a time-honored tradition for internet forums. It allows someone to step outside of their normally meek exterior and explore their inner demon-child. Getting a rise out of someone is a wonderful feeling, as it is instant validation that you are having an effect on something in the world. A troll makes a difference! The actions they take cause people to laugh, cry, or gnash their teeth in anger!

The topics are usually catered to the forum in question. For example, a forum on politics lends itself to many excellent trolling opportunities, as people are extremely invested in their particular beliefs. Want an instant fight? Talk about abortion or religion! But in reality, these topics are low-hanging fruit and not really worth the time of an expert troll. The best trolls take relatively benign topics and twist them to draw the rage out of the readers. Drawing a parallel of geographic location and socially unacceptable behavior (e.g. "All Long Island fisherman are pot heads; here's the proof!") is a tougher sell, but infinitely more enjoyable for the troll. Getting people to respond to an obvious troll is a good sign of success.

Starting a good troll is also a work of art. Just blurting out some controversial subject and calling a bunch of people idiots right off the bat is a poor start, whether it gets responses or not. A good attempt will use logic and calm, reasonable language to make a point designed to piss people off. For example, noone with half a brain would argue that Stalin's Humanzee's do not reek of awesomeness, there would be a thousand posts about how joking about human experimentation isn't *funny*, and genocide isn't humorous, and my God, what, are you 13 and have nothing better to do? Satire is lost on people with no sense of humor, and they are the best ones to troll!

So what makes a good troll? The obvious signs are how heated people get over the troll attempt. Threats of physical violence, incoherent posting from people so emotional they can't put together a sentence, even someone quitting the forum to avoid the angst are all good signs, but what we really need is an objective method of determining the effectiveness of a particular troll. This is why I've developed the following scoring system to help identify the best trolls out there.

Scoring

Initial post: 5 points

Each reply pro-OP: 1 point

Each reply anti-OP: 3 points

Each neutral reply (off-topic): 0 points (useful for giving a running point total for a good troll)

Each reply by the OP: -10 points (no self bumping, unless you feel the thread needs a refresher or some other juicy info to put people over the edge)

Getting someone to mention their age: 5 points

Getting someone to mention their income: 7 points

Getting someone to say they are having a private conversation with someone on a public forum (i.e. "this is between me and X, so GTFO"): 10 points

Getting someone to make a comparison to Hitler/@!%!s (Godwin's Law): 15 points

Getting someone to mention their SAT/ACT scores: 50 points (the proverbial IWIN button)

Personal insults to the OP: 3 points

Personal insults to other forum members: 2 points (not applicable in OP)

Personal insults to an entire group/group of people (drawing a stereotype): 8 points

Counter-trolling:

Counter-trolling is derailing an otherwise serious thread to the point where the OP's point is lost. Scoring this is done exactly the same way, except for scoring purposes the Original Post begins where the troll made his counter-point. His side becomes the 'pro' side, and the original OP becomes the 'anti' side.

If you see a particularly good trolling attempt out there, feel free to honor the OP by posting his score. Likewise, if you see a bad one (lots of bumps by the OP to try to get people to bite), call them out for the losers they are. But do it in a way to not give them any more points than they deserve! Good luck, and good trolling!

Just blurting out some controversial subject and calling a bunch of people idiots right off the bat is a poor start, whether it gets responses or not.

really FnA?

funny article. leave it to the whiners, by that i mean frank to get sand in the brovaries. waah. if anyone would listen i am sure a report would be made in great detail. but they dont. so, haha :)

A great way of trolling is by abusing moderator buttons.

throw out some insults and then edit those who respond in kind,

or even denounce the insults.

it's a can't miss strategy.

scummy lies and you know it. nobody insulted you. and even if they did ya cant hijack other people's threads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter View Post

funny article. leave it to the whiners, by that i mean frank to get sand in the brovaries. waah. if anyone would listen i am sure a report would be made in great detail. but they dont. so, haha smile.gif

congradulations,

I think you officially have become "That Guy"

feel free to follow me around and whine about my posts in that patented nonsense style of your's,

it's very compelling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinambition View Post

ok so why even bring up insults if you werent insulted? that's even less of a reason to jack someone's thread.

so I personally need to be isulted in order to denounce trolling?

isn't trolling a thread by throwing out insults a form of hijacking?

In my opinion it is.

posts like your's changed the discussion from one of logic and facts,

to gratuitously insluting homosexuals.

Gays seem to be a group that don't get defended around here,

but your posts would have been deleted if you attacked other groups in such a fashion,

we both know it.