Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DrumRunner58

From Lancaster PA and want to head up to NJ and try catching stripers

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi there guys, I live in Lancaster PA, and I am an avid Outer Banks Surf Fisherman. My main focus is on the Red Drum, but I've been hearing a lot about these striper runs. I really want to head up to NJ and try and catch myself a few. I just need some help from some of the locals that fish the beaches often. I'll post my questions below, thanks for the help guys.

1. Where can i get my NJ fishing license and what permits do I need?

2. Are you able to drive on the beach?

3. I've been hearing a lot about this MonMouth County, where is that located and are the guys there surf fishing, jetty fishing , boat fishing, or kayak fishing primarily to hit the Stripers?

4. What's the baits and rigs you guys are using to get the best success?

5. What do you look for when trying to pick good striper spots?

6. Where are the best bait and tackle shops to go to?

7. To anyone who drum fishes, how is striper fishing different than drum fishing?

That probably sums it up for now, ill ask more as they pop in my head... thanks for the help guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumRunner58 View Post

Hi there guys, I live in Lancaster PA, and I am an avid Outer Banks Surf Fisherman. My main focus is on the Red Drum, but I've been hearing a lot about these striper runs. I really want to head up to NJ and try and catch myself a few. I just need some help from some of the locals that fish the beaches often. I'll post my questions below, thanks for the help guys.

3. I've been hearing a lot about this MonMouth County, where is that located and are the guys there surf fishing, jetty fishing , boat fishing, or kayak fishing primarily to hit the Stripers?

7. To anyone who drum fishes, how is striper fishing different than drum fishing?

That probably sums it up for now, ill ask more as they pop in my head... thanks for the help guys.

1. The back closed on December 31, so you can only fish the front now (or at least keep in the front)  You don't need a NJ license to fish the front, just your Saltwater Registration...it's free in NJ and you can get it through the NJDEP website. 

2.  You can drive on the beach at Island Beach State Park in Seaside.  Never done it but a lot of guys here have...there are fees that they can speak to.

3.  Monmouth County is Central Jersey...all of the fishing you've listed work.

4.  Plugs

5.  ...

6.  Giglios in Sea Bright (not sure if it's open now); Pride fishing Tackle in Red Bank is great; Long Branch Bait & Tackle; Surf Side Bait and Tackle

7.  No idea!

DR,

Although I risk heresy on this site I will answer #7.

It is typical at certain, and judging from the guys with high hook #s, times to be more productive with lures and teasers then with bait when fishing for stripers.

A 24" schoolie striper and a 24" puppy drum are much alike in fight performance --- teh difference is when you get to the bigs. Although striper, like reds, may vary greatly from fish to fish of like sizes ---- you will probably be disappointed if comparing the 45" striper to the 45" red. Don't get me wrong, a good striper may make a good solid run and sometimes even two --- but nothing like that freight train that is the big red drum.

I never understood what drummin was all about until I caught my first 40" +, then I began to understand. My best drum is 50", my best striper was 47-48". Both fish were very round and very healthy (caught 6 weeks apart at my favorite fishin hole). The big difference is that the striper made a nice run and a half and I was always under control. The big red made three or four long runs, can to the wash and parked, and finally succumbed (to the point that I had a time getting her going agian).

I yanked in some decent stripers but never recall one of them wearing me down. I've been lucky enough to have a few reds give me a good tussle. The last time I made this statement on a striper site I got the wraith of a number of striper fishermen whoa re much better than I ---- but I'm going to tell you that a big red will pull two like size stripers backwards through the water!!

Of course the other issue is that from where you sit you are much closer to the striper then the red drum.

Cheers,

Welcome.

You should read threads in the various forums for a while. Then come back and ask a specific question or two. A lot of the questions you have will be answered and you will be better received if you do this.

DR58,

Welcome to the show. Normally a question will not go untouched here, but you have a lot on your plate there. Actuallty those 7 questions would make a great outline for a book entitled "Surf Fishing New Jersey". Acquaint yourself with the search feature above the forum and you will find most of your answers.

Welcome Aboard,

The search function is pretty good on the site and there is a ton of info here. Just try and keep the phrases simple.

You may want to look into coming down for Surf Day at Brookdale college of FEB 25th if you have the time. I have not made it there personally but reading some of the other guys posts its worth the trip, and it may help you with a lot of your questions.

Again welcome aboard

DrumRunner58 = Welcome.

1. Fishing lic. You can goggle NJ Saltwater license and appliy for the "Free" Saltwater license online. A 5 minute exercise and you can print it out at home. The official NJ Dept. of Environ. Protection NJDEP Div of Fish & Wildlife - Marine Fisheries NJDF&W calls it the Saltwater Recreational Registery Program Individual Certificate. How's zat for a mouthfull. They will need your name, address DOB.

If you have a NC Fishing Registry licence, you will still need the free NJ license if your are going to fish here. The fine is supposed to be $300 smackeroos's if you fail to have one when checked.

2. Beach Driving - You need a permit. There is a Saltwater Water Fishing Expo between Mar. 16 and 18 at the Garden State Exhibit Center in Somerset NJ. The NJ Beach Jockey's Assn. will have abooth there. It is a great show and an easy run via I-78 and I 287 South. Google it for info.

3. I live in Monmouth County. It is the most northern county and includes the Federal Gate Way Park at Sandy Hook. At the tip of the Hook you can fish a huge rip while looking at NY City and Brooklyn about 12 miles across the way. Goggle Monmouth County Fishing.

4. Everything from worms, eels and clams to chunk Mossbunker or even live lined Bunker. Metal lures,and plugs and leadheaded jigs work as well. all of the plastic and rubber lure out their too. It is a fishing paradise. Ocean Co and on down the coast to Cape May is just as good as well.

5. There are several good books out there that will lead you to the general area. I recommend Jim Freda's "Fishing the NJ Coast" for spot to spot coverage. Goggle Amazon books and look for the used fishing books section. Once you get there type in NJ Saltwater fishing books. I'm sure you will find Capt. Freda's book among the dozens of books available.

The used books are in great shape and the savings will cover the shipping and then some.

6. Google NJ Bait and Tackle Shops - By County. I like Giglio's in Sea Bright and Julian's in Atlantic Highlands, NJ They are both on Route 36 in Monmouth Co.

7. Striped Bass and Blue fish are the main menu in Monmouth County. We don't see a lot of Black Drum this far north. I fly fish Red Drum in NC, SC, GA and FL with a fly rod. I believe there is decent Black Drum fishing Down in Cape May County on Delaware Bay.

As and avid Drum angler, what method do you use to connect with Drum in the OB? I'd like to comapre it with the thrill of striped bass fishing and the heart thumping rush you get when a big blue fish smacks whatever you throw out there.

If you fish the Outer Banks, You are missing a lot of great striped bass, . It includes comments from Capt. horsleyCobia, Redfish (drum) and false albacore fishing on a fly rod in that neck of the woods.

I recommend Capts. Brian Horsley and his wife Sarah Gardner if you are looking for excellent fishing withthe long wand or a spin tackle trip. They are both contributors to SOL. I suggest you go to the Fly Fishing Forum and look up the Flyfishing Show thread for information on that show It is at the same place as the Saltwater Expo, in Somerset NJ. That is the biggest flyfishing show in the world. For the first time, that same show will be coming to your town (Lancaster) this year.

Goggle Fly Fishing Show and check the event date. The show will have seminars and check the participants list and Brian and his wife might be in Langcaster soon.

The Somerset Show is Jan. 27, 28 and 29. Friday is the best day. the hours are 10 am to 6 pm on Friday. 8 amd to 6pm on Sat and Sunday.

Enjoy. If you are a yak angler, the possibilities are endless. Yakers are still catching striped bass in Monmouth County. This is the latest continous striped bass fishing season evah! They usually cruise thru northern NJ by mid December. This weather has been holding the migration down to Chesapeake Bay up, and we are loving it. It makes up for the crappy Sept. and October we experienced becase of the flushing of hudson River freshwater run off from the Hurricane and big tropical storm that follow the hurricane. It kept the salty predators off the Monmouth County Beaches for 6 weeks or more.

IMHO.