New reel

Rate this topic

Apeja

Am sorry am new in this. Am so proud of myself i finally bought a VSB200 after saving for over 2years. I need help in knowing the best set up I can have in regards to the kind surf rod, line and leader. I will be fishing for Blue and Stripers in the East coast.  Your help would be very much appreciated. Preferably the best. Thanks

for a vsb200...i would go with a 10 footer by Lamiglas...I use my VS200 with a Lamiglas Graphite Surf & Jetty Rod. I use a two peice. All depends on what you like and what you can use with 1 peice or 2 peice. I have the LAmiglas XS 10 MS. That is a two peice. Or if you want a custom rod of this series you can go with one of the 10 foot GSB's. Or if you want to spend the money, you can go with the Lamiglas Super Surf which is a beast. Again, you can go factory or custom. Go to the Lamiglas website. You can even go 9 foot with a VSB200...I think it feels better with the 10 foot, but I do like it with my 9 footer also.

1St of all welcome to the Site. & congrads for you getting a nice reel.

Problem being there are so many options on rods. Do you have a budget? What will you be throwing? Plugs,Bait & what weight?

Where on the East Coast will you be fishing?

Need a little more information to help you out. & again never feel sorry here This site is more than a fishing web-site My Friend it's more like a Family.............Ron

Howdy,

I’m new to the site myself and I can’t tell you enough how valuable surfing the forums and using the search functions will be to you. You may want to start by going through the regional forum relevant to your area. Or, just try putting “VS” into the search function and you will find volumes written on VanStaal reels. You will find he same thing on any other topic you can think up, line, leaders, terminal tackle, etc… The information is very granular so type of fish & type of area being fished will all have their adherents to different approaches. Needless to say, these are all personal opinions, but the information contained represents a huge oral history. And dare we speculate on the actual number of centuries of combined fishing experience? It’s time consuming, but really enjoyable, for curious types like me, a bit addictive.

Since you are looking for a rod to match your VS, check out the rod building forum. Even if you are not considering custom, there is a wealth of knowledge. I’ve just started using the advanced search feature. It’s pretty easy and I’ve been able to zero in on some pretty arcane subjects quickly.

Problem being there are so many options on rods. Do you have a budget? What will you be throwing? Plugs,Bait & what weight?

Need a little more information to help you out. & again never feel sorry here This site is more than a fishing web-site My Friend it's more like a Family.............Ron

Times two on the last part of Ron's post! An amazing group of people for sure! Welcome to the family, MAX :wave:

First Congrats on joining the Vs club

Second there is a lot of rods out there i use a vs250, Lami tri-flex 10 ft 3-6 custom with 40# leader Ande and 30# suffix braid with similar diameter backing or it gets expensive

I have a Super Surf 10 setup with the 200 right now works great

LIKE A BOSS

Welcome! with regards to your question, flytyingguy1's comments are critical in your options to be considered for a rod. There will be many 'great' rod options to fit your needs, depending on what those needs are AND what particular action or feel you might like best. If you've got sufficient surf fishing experience, you can take some recommendations provided on this thread or via searches, then get out to feel those rods in your hands at tackle shops or other fishermen who might have them.

This whole process of finding new tackle is fun. I've been doing it for MANY years and it never gets old...I'm still like a kid in a candy shop.

Best of luck!