Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishstriper

Letter from VMRC on flounder proposals

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Letter from VMRC on flounder proposals

Subject: 2012 recreational summer flounder management measures info

Last night the recreational summer flounder ad hoc committee met at VMRC to discuss 2012 management measures and Rob and I want to provide you with information on that meeting.

While landings in Virginia were 53% under target in 2011, we are still held to an 18% decrease in our 2012 target (quota) due to coast-wide issues with overfishing. The good news is that the population’s spawning stock biomass has reached the restored target of 132.4 million pounds. The 2012 target has been established as 466,000 summer flounder. Because the 2011 landings are estimated at 268,684 fish, we are able to liberalize our landings by 74% in order to attain the 2012 quota. In 2011, Virginia’s recreational management measures included a 17 ½” minimum size limit, a 4 fish possession limit, and no closed season.

Please see the attached word document, with detailed information about tables and files presented at last night’s meeting. Also attached is the zip file containing the files presented in last night’s packet, labeled by page number.

At last night’s meeting, attendees expressed their concern that Virginia landings continue to fall short of our targets (2011 marked the fourth consecutive year of being under quota). While the group understands that paybacks will occur beginning in 2013, should the coast-wide ACL (annual catch limit) be exceeded, everyone was in agreement that perhaps being less conservative than in the past can serve Virginia well in 2012. Effort trends were also an important topic of this meeting.

The four options recommended by the ad hoc committee members to go forward are as follows, with the most support for the 16 ½” option:

16 ½” min. size, 4 fish possession limit

17” min. size, 5 fish

17” min. size, 4 fish

17 ½” min. size, 5 fish

All options assume no closed season in 2012.

State draft proposals are due to ASMFC technical committee on the 18th of January. The Finfish Management Advisory Committee (FMAC) will meet on January 23rd, and these options will be explained to that group for their input as well. On the 24th, a request for public hearing will be made at the VMRC Commission meeting. The proposal will be presented to the ASMFC technical committee at its meeting on the 25th in Baltimore. The ASMFC Management Board will review the TC recommendations at its Alexandria meeting on February 8th, and the final option(s) will be presented to the VMRC Commission at a public hearing on February 24th.

We will continue to seek any additional input or advice from the ad hoc group leading up to the ASMFC meeting, as discussions continue. Thank you to everyone who came out last night or sent a proxy.

I think they should keep it the same as last years, 17 1/2" with 4 possession.

i agree with the 17 1/2 ..but comman sence a ludes us ...other states have the size limits at 15 or 16 an as far as i know flounder migrate up an down the coast ..if the costal states would have the same size limits..an the bays we all would be catching good size flounder .ones that can make a meal..same limit same size ..all the states ..that bull crap meeting that they had in alex va last year was to put all the east coast states on one track...ya see where that went puff the magic dragon blew that away:mad:

I'm sure nothing will happen this year either, I was reading part of an artical on black sea bass from Captian Monty, He swears that by lowering the size of Sea Bass to 11.5 from 12.5 there will be an improved fishery because the fish will spawn sooner in their life cycle. He sees fish spwaning/maturing at a later time in their life cycle and not spawning as much as they would if they starting spawing sooner. More spawing = more fish. Not sure if this would apply to flounder.

your a posting dude fishstriper ...2010 an over 3000 post ...well i'm not informed enough on the spawning habits ...of any fish ..but it would be an interesting thing to research on..correct me if i'm wrong but don't fish spawn more then onece in there life cycle ..the only one that i know of is salmon..an i'm not sure if all breeds of salmon .only spawn once ..i really can't see where lowering the size limit on a fish ,is going to make it breed any sooner ....hey you fish we are going to lower the catchable size on you ,,,,so ya better make hay while ya can:huh::D

i agree with the 17 1/2 ..but comman sence a ludes us ...other states have the size limits at 15 or 16 an as far as i know flounder migrate up an down the coast ..if the costal states would have the same size limits..an the bays we all would be catching good size flounder .ones that can make a meal..same limit same size ..all the states ..that bull crap meeting that they had in alex va last year was to put all the east coast states on one track...ya see where that went puff the magic dragon blew that away:mad:

What other states are at 15 or 16 inches with the exception of NC?

VA is at 17.5

NJ is at 18

MD is at 18

DE was at 18.5 I think.

NY is at 20.5

There is a huge flounder tournament every spring in NJ. Last year I believe they averaged like 2 keepers per boat and the throw back to keeper ratio was over 120 to 1 and even more for others. And yes it all depends on what area you are fishing but if 30 boats check in and they all say its 100 to 1 that's a pretty good assessment imo.

Even guys fishing Kiptopeke in Virginia will tell you its like 100 to 1. So its pretty much the same from NY down to Virginia and usually all those states are in line with in a half inch of each other. Which usually amounts to catching many many fish just shy of throwing in the cooler.

I think what they are trying to prevent is the flounder fishery as a whole going to **** very quickly, which if they would drop the size limit to much could be catastrophic imo.