Places we remember as children, but are no longer there.

Rate this topic

jimmy z

Greenwood Dairies, it was an ice cream joint. They had what they called the Pig's Dinner. a 5 scoop sundae. iirc, it was in Langhorne, PA just outside of Philly.

My favorite TEE;

"I was a PIG at Greenwood Dairy" :clap:

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."

Afriend was asking me about some lakes and ponds he saw on Google Earth that were up in the neck of the woods I grew up in. I looked at the satellite images in order to give him some input.

I was really bummed out when I saw that about 80% of the area I hunted and fished as a teenager was now houses.

Is it too much to ask to just breathe, be able to walk and go fishing?

Rolling Green amusement park Selingsgrove PA. My grandfather played bingo and I was given a roll of tickets and coins for the game room on the hill. Paint it Black blaring in the game room on a great stereo system for that time is forever burned into my head. Destroyed in a flood.

"Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios" Sam Stone / John Prine

The lunch counter at Wanamakers in Philly. Grandpop used to take me there as a special treat after the Terminal market (?) where

I remember vendors yelling "Nothing Sold after the train leaves the SHED !!" It became a family saying for "Get it now !!" .

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."

Aspen Colorado in the 60s. It was nothing then. Went every year when I was a kid and stayed at this little log cabin place. It wasn't about celebrities or braggin about where you'd been or anything. It was just this place we drove out to every summer to hang out, hike, maybe do some trout fishing.

I remember it as a sleepy little town of about 15,000, now I read there can be so many private jets at the airport they get into traffic jams. Taffic jams at the airport? I don't think there even was an airport.

Bleh.

United Skates of America on 60th st and Ft Hamilton Pkwy in Brooklyn. I remember going there in 1981-1984 and skating, dancing meeting girls and listening to 80s music. I was so damn upset that place closed down in 1984 it was the worst thing in my life at that time! Ahhh priorities when youre just a kid :squid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishNH View Post

And Arthur Treacher's fish and chips on the corner of Middle country road and Paula blvd in Selden LI, NY

There was one on Emmon's ave in Sheepshead Bay as well. 

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

And Arthur Treacher's fish and chips on the corner of Middle country road and Paula blvd in Selden LI, NY

Arthur Treachers.......do any still exist?...........one of those places that was very bad, but in some sort of strange way (much like White Castle), very good and can't be duplicated...............

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174