Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Local66

Winter wading.

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Conditions have been really nice for the last few weeks in my area. The Banana river has been producing some heavy fish, and decent numbers. I figure it's cold enough in striper country right now that you guys could appreciate me posting something a little different.

Proper wading attire for 70 degree water over white sand.

[img=

The only fly I've used for the past 6 weeks (gartside soft hackle streamer)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd203/kneedeep74/IMG_06901-1.jpg]

A few Banana River trout.

[img=

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd203/kneedeep74/IMG_06531-1.jpg]

[img=

Some healthy redfish.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd203/kneedeep74/IMG_06771-1.jpg]

[img=

A whole bunch of healthy redfish.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd203/kneedeep74/IMG_06971-1.jpg]

Stay warm guys.

Bill,

For the first year in 16 I decided to stay up north and clam my way thru a NJ Coastal Winter. Last sunday 5 of us hit the Navesink river at noo on a 58 degree day and a dropping tide. All of us were able to pick our 150 clam daily limit in about 3 hours.

Sunny Day blue skys in early January last year in FL I remember 39 degree weather and a north wind that would stop for weeks. Of course that was in New Smyrna Beach not as far south are you are.

Very nic spec. I love those trout and will be tying some darker flys for next fall when I head down south again.

Keeper Striped bass are still being caught along the Monmouth County beaches and the size gamet runs from healthy schoolies of 10 # to 35# keepers. The bait boys are using clams and eels if they can get them and just about any plug that looks like a school buss is taking fish.

Enjoy yourself and we will try to tickle your greeneyed monster with stories of striped bass glory. Or large hauls of hard shell clams. Linguini in a white clam sauce is so much betta' when the clams were plucked from their beds less than 4 hours earlier.

You know what I'm talking about? Manga'

Man I really dislike you right now...... Wheres the picture with the urchin in your foot??? ha ha ha...........Ok it happend to me once and theres really nothing funny about it, urine anyone?

lol I've never had the luck to step on an urchin as I'm overly cautious when wading in ANY water barefoot :) even streams! great pictures, I caught my first sea trout 2 years ago in Georgia, loved it

Hunt for Blues, dont! although it makes for a good story its a good way to ruin a trip, not to mention having to put urine on your foot to neutralize the toxins. Ooh the days when I was young and dumb...............

Man I really dislike you right now...... Wheres the picture with the urchin in your foot??? ha ha ha...........Ok it happend to me once and theres really nothing funny about it, urine anyone?

Urchins, no. I've been hit by rays twice, which is a pretty miserable experience (especially when you wait until the would turns septic to go to the hospital ). I got 13 stitches from getting cast off spectra between the toes, I've pulled a few dozen slivers of glass out of my foot, and we have these lovely little baby conch type thingys that punch clean little holes in the bottoms of your feet when you step on them. My feet take a beating, but it still beats wearing boots. I'm faster, quieter, and I can cover a lot more water barefoot.

Those Banana Trout are beautiful, what a nice colour, very healthy fish. Lovely

I agree. They aren't the biggest, or the fastest critters in our waters, but they're by far the smartest. I enjoy targeting them over all other fish this time of year. There's nothing like spotting a monster trout, making that perfect 80' cast, leading the fish by 10', then watching him swim right past your fly, come right up to you and give you stinkeye.