Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunt for blueessss

Expensive trout reel setup?!

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

In looking at the new Orvis fly catalog, they have the Mirage fly reel, top of the line, but they have it in lightweights. Has anyone encountered a fish so strong on a 1-4 weight that they felt they would need a enough drag to handle a baby tarpon?!

With reels like the Orvis Mirage and Hatch Finatic, both of which come in smaller sizes (#1-4), the drags are scaled down versions of their big game siblings. Usually this is done by reducing the size of the drag washers as well as the number of washers, at least as it relates to the Mirage and Finatic.

The whole point of these seemingly overkill trout reels is that they have very smooth drags, capable of protecting very fine tippets. While you don't usually ecounter a whopper while fishing such light tippets, a reel like this will help you land bigger fish than a reel with a jerky drag.

Reels like this aren't for everyone, but they work very well for very technical fishing.

Lets be honest here....a reel for 1 to 4 weight lines is just used as somewhere to store your line. I have a couple older Orvis Battenkills (now discontinued) and a pair of older Medalists that do the job just fine.

Some people like jewelry. Sometimes it has to be Tiffany's or Cartier

+1 :th: Pretty and smooth and light might be optional but sure are nice. I also like to match the quality of the reel to that of the rod. It doesn't mean anything, but there it is.

I got into a discussion about trout reels a few weeks ago on another site. Same type of points brought up. I have 2 custom rods, a 3 wt & a 4 wt, one has a Okuma Sierra reel on it, the other a now discontinued Cortland Rimfly. Both work fine for what I use them for, and both are (were) very reasonably priced.

I'm not into jewelry, more so into function. I buy what I can afford, and what I feel will do the job. The Sierra is several years old now & the Rimfly is over 10 years old.

For the price of those Orvis reels, I could have bought many of the reels I have.

But, I agree with TheWildRover, if I did much of that type of ultra fine tippet fishing, I might want such a reel. I however do not.

Buy what you like, and what you can afford. It's your money! :)

I got into a discussion about trout reels a few weeks ago on another site. Same type of points brought up. I have 2 custom rods, a 3 wt & a 4 wt, one has a Okuma Sierra reel on it, the other a now discontinued Cortland Rimfly. Both work fine for what I use them for, and both are (were) very reasonably priced.

I'm not into jewelry, more so into function. I buy what I can afford, and what I feel will do the job. The Sierra is several years old now & the Rimfly is over 10 years old.

For the price of those Orvis reels, I could have bought many of the reels I have.

But, I agree with TheWildRover, if I did much of that type of ultra fine tippet fishing, I might want such a reel. I however do not.

Buy what you like, and what you can afford. It's your money! :)

well said

I also like to match the quality of the reel to that of the rod. It doesn't mean anything, but there it is.

This is definitely a compelling psychological force for me. It's a good thing I don't have too much really nice stuff!

"Buy what you like, and what you can afford. It's your money!"

Absolutely!

But I would make one amendment. It WAS your money. You don't have it any more, now, do you?

When it comes to 7 and 8X tippets....and I am unaware of anything lighter, a 3 wt rod, and trout averaging 20" and up to 10#... on size 20 flies, I would say that the concept of "drag" on a reel is quite mis-stated. All you want, need, and can use is NON-overrun resistance. You can vary the "drag", as in total out-going resistance enough by varying the angle of the rod, which increases or decreases the friction of the line on the guides, and realistically that is about all the modulation your tippet, also subject to the drag effects of the line through the water, a drag which you are INsensitive to, can stand.

With that combo my landing rate was over 90% if I was still attached to the trout after the initial 2 seconds. And what happened in those 2 seconds had very little to do with reel drag. That was with a click and pawl. A very highly OVER-priced click and pawl...compliments of Orvis....who benefitted from my "ability to pay".... but a click and pawl nontheless. What DID determine my landing rate was my ability to chase the fish down....in a float tube....and the density of weeds the fish could/did run through. That highest peak of trout reel design, before anyone even THOUGHT of putting a disc drag on a reel that light also featured such innotative concepts of British (sorry, Mike) thinking that the Line Guard, that silvery thing put on to "protect" the "soft" aluminum from the abrasion of the line....was SOFTER (metal-wise) than the base aluminum itself. Duuuuh!

Peter Patricelli

I like the way this thread is going :) Of course, it will always be buy what you want, and I respect that. I was just wondering who on SOL has these types of expensive setups and why. With my first high priced rod purchase, I looked into reels, but the mirage just didn't make sense to me any way. Usually when we speak expensive setups (VS, ZB, Stella) they're oriented towards the type of fishing, boat vs. surf, and cost can be drastic in the spinning/casting reel world. For trout, I love the simple click pawl, but have never laid into a trout that may see more than a few feet of line. I just think it's crazy in a non-judgmental way.

For big game, you NEED super drag, sealed is a benefit, smoothness, but in the trout world you don't even need drag when you get into the 20 inchers :)

What kind of expensive setups are here for rod AND reel combos. I know a few guys still fish bamboo (which is awesome)

Having that reel for is more of a statement/status symbol just over kill, BUT I do agree on if u have and want it so be it.

In a way I agree. But if your buying it for an investment you can't go wrong! I won't tell you what I paid for it but for what I sold if for It paid for a new Mako!! :D

Nothing is smoother than my Abel on my 4 weight for trout, my 8 for bones, and my 12 for small BFT.  They are a pleasure to use and make me smile.  Plus when you get that 30" trout on the 4 weight (yes once) you know that the reel isn't the weak link.  It's the person who owns the fingers reeling it.