Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zakD

best bait and artificial lures

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have been going to Seista key in Feb. This year I am going to Cape Coral. and have always had luck with live shrimp. I use 1/8 buckshot ,( up about 18 inches from bait) . use flurocabon 30 lb leader ( 30'') Twich it very slow across the bottom. Some guys use a popping cork/ 30'' away from bait. I haven't had to much luck with lures in Feb. Redfish, Snook,.trout, ladyfish, Sheephead and others.

lll be going down in April somewhere in hernando beach I'm not familiar with the area at all. Id love to catch anything but I really hope to hook into some red fish. thanks for the tips

Thats Al Sears area maybe he will help you out with locations and tactics.

A pretty safe bet is 1/8oz jig heads and 3" gulp shrimp , new penny , natural or glow..a DOA shad tail Cal works wonders also ,sharp twitches close to the bottom.or steady retrieve.

Capt. Mike's Weedless ADL spoon ,gold 3/8oz. with a #6 spro barrel swivel attached.

7' to 7'6 med power spinning rod with a 2500 or 3000 sized spinning reel #15 braid 2' to 3' of #25 fluoro or mono leader , use a uni to uni connection with a loop knot on your jig head.

if you find the reds cut mullet or ladyfish is on of there favorites , throw it out in there path and they will suck it up , you can also do the same with that gulp shrimp.

I've been using small poppers and kastmasters. Jacks will hit anything.

Slider jigs tipped with fresh shrimp in the grasses for trout and bones.

For ladyfish, jacks and anything that hangs out at the inlets: yellow lima-bea jigs...

The original Lead Lima Beans were great. Didn't need to tip them.

Pack a sabiki rig for fresh herring or pinfish too.

Must have over looked this,Bridetender has got you on track,you might want to go with carolina rig instead of uni ,on main line put a bullet sinker 1/ 8oz large end towards leader, tie main line to black swivel, then 2-3 ft 20-25 leader to 5/0 worm tie to other end of swivel, good for gulp, rubber,strips, work very slow , No need for popping cork ,tip rod upward sharply to get bullet to slide down to swivel ,this produces a click / snap such as shrimp emit ,trout come looking /hopefull attacking . One of guys from other forum has real good luck with this rig ,also the Mirrodine has been a good producer, sheepshead are starting to bite. IF you catch a lady fish you have best bait going for red's it is their candy

Now if the east wind would lay down for few days all would be well

I think that it will be with while to pick up some mirrolures. They are very effective for sea trout and reds. I have had the best luck with the suspending twitch bait ones. The best color was black and orange

When you know when you'll be here, shoot me an e-mail. Snook should be pretty easy then and probably Tarpon late in the month.

I chartered here for lots of years and do it for fun now days. (Chartering isn't always fun)

Redfish ought to be a sure thing. Re: Mirrodine--Great bait. I use a natural finish and find the biggest one best for my kind of fishing.

Can't beat a bone colored Zara Spook, Top Dog or Badonk-a-Donk for fun fishing. I fish the Ribbit as well as the Mann's Hardhead Shad

for Redfish rather than using spoons. I've never liked the Johnson spoon but it catches fish.

I don't fish for Trout much because they aren't much fun. Where I fish, I often catch Redfish, Snook and LM Bass on consecutive casts.