Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DieselDude2047

I need rod advice!

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some rod advice. I surf fish in Delaware (not really known as a top location) where we do a lot of bait and wait. I enjoy making wooden plugs and enjoy casting them even more! My rod arsenal is composed largely of Tica rods of various lengths and actions. I have 3 children who like to fish and my wife throws a line in occaisionally as well. The price point on the Ticas allowed me to build a decent arsenal. My reels are all USA Penns, 704's and some smaller Spinfishers along with the odd SS series as well. I am disabled (bad back and neck-I have more metal than bone in my spine) and on a very tight budget! So no G. Loomis or Van Staals in Mike's future, but I really would like to have a better plug rod! I have seen the St. Croix Triumph line and the Lamiglas Surf King series. Am I correct that these are a "price point" products? If s,o what do they lack compared to the more expensive versions? My most important question is: will I notice a difference in one of these rods compared to my Ticas? A 9 foot rod is easier for me to handle than my larger ones (I get fatigued very easily) but it this a "typical" plug rod length? Any help would be appreciated. I have learned so much about a sport I thought I knew since joining this site! Thanks, Mike

I think the Triumph and Surf king rods are not going to give you a big advantage as far as throwing plugs than your Tica's. The Triumph's in particular, especially the faster versions are very good at throwing metals but due to your physical condition (bad back and neck ) the faster action rods are generally going to wear you out faster (if repeated casting) and require your timing to be spot on to take advantage of their characteristics.

It sounds to me that you would benefit greatly by one of the super lightweight surf sticks on the market that typically weigh in anywhere from 8 to 10 ounces for the entire rod, if plugging is your main desire that is.. . Many are superb at plugging and will not wear you out nearly as much over the long haul. Now regarding bait and wait, any of your current Tica's are fine for that, because you won't be repeatedly casting .

Unfortunately the lightest weight plugger's out their now can range from $180.00 to over $350.00 or more but the BST is a great place to pick one up for cheap $$$. Many tackle shops and members on this site will let you test cast their rods and imo it's the way to go because doing it any other way especially by word of mouth is a crapshoot at best.

Lastly, i personally do not think switching to a Triumph or Lami Surf king is going to make you say "wow" what a difference, as they are Croix's and Lami's entry level rods and do not do justice to most of their other models, i would stick with the Tica's over these two.

I think the Triumph and Surf king rods are not going to give you a big advantage as far as throwing plugs than your Tica's. The Triumph's in particular, especially the faster versions are very good at throwing metals but due to your physical condition (bad back and neck ) the faster action rods are generally going to wear you out faster (if repeated casting) and require your timing to be spot on to take advantage of their characteristics.

It sounds to me that you would benefit greatly by one of the super lightweight surf sticks on the market that typically weigh in anywhere from 8 to 10 ounces for the entire rod, if plugging is your main desire that is.. . Many are superb at plugging and will not wear you out nearly as much over the long haul. Now regarding bait and wait, any of your current Tica's are fine for that, because you won't be repeatedly casting .

Unfortunately the lightest weight plugger's out their now can range from $180.00 to over $350.00 or more but the BST is a great place to pick one up for cheap $$$. Many tackle shops and members on this site will let you test cast their rods and imo it's the way to go because doing it any other way especially by word of mouth is a crapshoot at best.

Lastly, i personally do not think switching to a Triumph or Lami Surf king is going to make you say "wow" what a difference, as they are Croix's and Lami's entry level rods and do not do justice to most of their other models, i would stick with the Tica's over these two.

What he said, good advice. It isn't the arrow, its the indian.