Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shoitsma

What is This?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm a newbie with conventional reels. Can someone tell me what the little pin on the spool is for? I'm trying to spool this bad boy up tonight :)

Thanks!

Picture 074.jpg

And yes I bite my nails.

If nobody knows, you don't need it!

Tie a knot and don't worry about it.

Maybe it's for those who may not be good at knots:  make a really long loop and begin winding?   headscratch.gif

P.S.  A second thought:  If one can tie knots, these may, nevertheless, be too loose not  to slip.  depending on what you tie for this, you can position it such the pin can catch it; or, if you are using braid, bend a clove hitch over it or take a turn or two around it. 

That's it; I'm out.  bucktooth.gif

It's there to tear a chunk out of your thumb if you play with the reel by spinning the crank,flippin the clutch and stopping the spool with your thumb. ;) I don't remember seeing one on my Saltist, maybe it's for guys who don't start with some mono before they tie on the braid. That was standard on a lot of reels 30 years ago and will do you no harm.

If you are filling it with braid, overfill it a bit, then tie the end off and walk away 'til you reach the spool. Then crank it back on with as much tension as you can (rod bent a lot). This will pack the braid tight so that it will not dig into itself as bad on backlashes and hooksets.

That reel will hols 300 yards of 50 lb PowerPro if you put it on tight enough.