Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
taffy-15

April Info

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Massachusetts Surf guy here. Looks like I lucked out and will be spending the first week of April in the Salvo area. Sharing a cottage with relatives who have no clue to fishing. Any info. would be appreciated due to I know nothing about the area. What type of fish swill I be targeting? What type of surf gear would appropriate? That is light or heavy spinning. Also any locations that you could recommend without spot burning would be great. Thanks in advance for replies.

Kinda depends on water temps. Could be a mix of most anything. Piers or surf that is open. If you choose the surf make sure you know what is open and closed. Oh yeah, if you plan on driving on the beach be prepaired to take a class and buy a driving permit at a cost of somewhere around $100+.

Drum could be around cape point then. Heavier surf rod suitable to cast 6 to 8oz. Smaller fish maybe whiting, or toads, smaller bluefish. spinning gear cast 1 to 3 or 4 oz.

Watch internet sites of the local tackle shops and you will know what is biting before you arrive.

Massachusetts Surf guy here. Looks like I lucked out and will be spending the first week of April in the Salvo area. Sharing a cottage with relatives who have no clue to fishing. Any info. would be appreciated due to I know nothing about the area. What type of fish swill I be targeting? What type of surf gear would appropriate? That is light or heavy spinning. Also any locations that you could recommend without spot burning would be great. Thanks in advance for replies.

As ABU Mike said,need to check out what the closures will be as far as driving the beach.. This "new plan" with Hat inlet and Ocock inlet being closed as "wilderness areas" could throw a monkey wrench into anyone's plans trying to catch a drum or even a seamullet... Depends on how much they leave open from the s end of Hat and Ocock.. If they leave some open prior to the actual inlet,you could catch a big drum at night there,and maybe plenty of seamullet and blowtoads as well.. They also have seemed to "invent" birds being seen doing the nasty near Buxton Point just prior to the drum biting there,so keep an eye on nps website for access to Hatteras Island... EVEN after all that you will have to buy a costly permit to access the little access there will be to the spots I would call very productive that time of year....

The plan that nps and special interest goups have put into play can without a doubt spoil it for the avg fisherman coming from out of state.. So,if you don't mind sitting on an unproductive area of beach,paying for an overpriced permit,to maybe catch nothing,come on down....

One possible alternative to paying the fee is that Avon Pier usually opens on Easter,Rodanthe Pier may be open as well..Both can produce some good seamullet and blowtoad catches that time of year.. All that dependant on water temps.. The new pier near Hatteras Village will probably be 5 years out,and nps has appoved it... I would guess they figure that to be the future of our island.....:mad:

It is going to be different but I hope to adjust. Revamping some of my gear back to planking mode. The sand will still be my friend as much as it can be. Just gotta dig out my bibs and boots....

It is going to be different but I hope to adjust. Revamping some of my gear back to planking mode. The sand will still be my friend as much as it can be. Just gotta dig out my bibs and boots....

Did you go to the NCBBA meeting yesterday? Anything to report?

will Oregon inlet be accessible during the bridge build? Or anytime after? The surf sites are saying all of Pea Island will be off limits: even to walk in access.

thanks

(God I hate this auto correct)

You know for a fact my plank'n gear is in order... ;) Sand is fun,but always liked pier fishing for drum as well as livebaiting.. Just hate seeing it for everyone that expects public lands to be just that,public....

Did you go to the NCBBA meeting yesterday? Anything to report?

will Oregon inlet be accessible durring the bridge build? Or anytime after? The surf sites are saying all of Pea Island will be off limits: even to walk in access.

thanks

(God I hate this outo correct)

I did not. I severed ties with the NCBBA back in Dec. at least for now. I have not paid my dues for this year and not riding my plate anymore. We will see in a couple weeks what I do next for them or with them. I can tell you come Feb 15 OI will be off limits as well as The Point, Hatteras inlet and most of Ocracoke just to hit the highlights. Many more places will be OFFLIMITS to real Americans...

You know for a fact my plank'n gear is in order... ;) Sand is fun,but always liked pier fishing for drum as well as livebaiting.. Just hate seeing it for everyone that expects public lands to be just that,public....

Indeed it's a real shame. I was raised on the old Jennettes Pier so for the most part me too...

I did not. I severed ties with the NCBBA back in Dec. at least for now. I have not paid my dues for this year and not riding my plate anymore. We will see in a couple weeks what I do next for them or with them. I can tell you come Feb 15 OI will be off limits as well as The Point, Hatteras inlet and most of Ocracoke just to hit the highlights. Many more places will be OFFLIMITS to real Americans...

Indeed it's a real shame. I was raised on the old Jennettes Pier so for the most part me too...

Thanks Mike,

I appreciate you helping us Yankees to understand what is going on. I usually visit in March each year; so I imagine a lot can change between now and then.

Frank

Yes it will Frank. I will start going back down in a very few weeks so I'll keep you posted as will Drumdum I'm sure.

We don't really know if the Point will be closed,IF they can "invent" the birds doing the nasty before the drum start attacking (like they have for the last 2yrs) yes,it will be.. Although if they feel a little guilty for all the punishment they have thrown on us already,who knows?? To get the "$" from a permit,ya gotta put a carrot in front of the donkey,right?????

We don't really know if the Point will be closed,IF they can "invent" the birds doing the nasty before the drum start attacking (like they have for the last 2yrs) yes,it will be.. Although if they feel a little guilty for all the punishment they have thrown on us already,who knows?? To get the "$" from a permit,ya gotta put a carrot in front of the donkey,right?????

You may be right but they have not been to concerned for the lost revenue to this point. I hope you are right although I really don't fish the point that often I would like it to stay open for those who do.

You may be right but they have not been to concerned for the lost revenue to this point. I hope you are right although I really don't fish the point that often I would like it to stay open for those who do.

Which "revenue" are you speaking of?? You're absolutly correct when it come to "our" revenue,but ya gotta figure this would be "thier" revenue... ;)

State tax revenue. As this is ultimately going to be the biggest loser

Yes,no doubt.. The only bargining chip we have with the state is the fact that we are one of the few contributing counties in NC.. Bird people and liberal folks in Raliegh don't seem to think we need hwy 12 repaired after a hurricane takes it out,they believe a ferry system is feasable... We are fighting against a double edged sword... Sucks all the way around...