Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bass Ackwards

Now That I Got A Coffee Perculator I Need

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

HELP

My new perculator came today so I washed it and brewed my first coffee out of it. YUK, didn't taste all that good, I don't think I let it perk long enough. I used 5 scoops of S&S Columbian coarse ground. My question is:

How do you know when it's ready? Does it stop perking when ready? What do I look for, how do I know when it's done? I want my mommy, she would know. :D

The longer the perk, the stronger the coffee. You have to pay attention to when it starts to perk so you know when to turn it down. Experiment till you get it where you like it.

from ehow

1 Fill the percolator pot with water to the fill line inside the pot.

2 Place the percolator stem inside the coffee pot and slide the coffee basket over the top of the stem.

3 Place the desired amount of coffee into the basket. Generally this is 1 tbsp. of ground coffee for every cup of water.

4 Place the basket lid on the basket if your stove top percolator came with one. Not all models have these.

5 Place the lid on the coffee pot and set the coffee pot on the smallest stove eye.

6 Turn the heat on the stove eye to medium high and let the coffee begin to perk. You will see the coffee perk, or boil, through the glass lid of the pot.

7 Allow the coffee to perk 6 to 8 minutes. Turn the heat to low to keep the coffee hot for drinking.

I think you just need to do some trial and error as everyone has different tastes. Use teh same measuring spoon for each pot and keep track of teh scoops. The farberware pot that koq has i think shuts off on its own. The coffee turns out very consistent each time. But a pot fired on the stove you have to shut off manually...a 5 to 7 minute perk sounds about right. Once it starts to perk clear liquid start your timer and lower the flame. Obviously the longer the perk the more "cooked" it will be. And it you put too much coffee in and let it perk forever you're going to have some very strong coffee. :shock: Too little coffee and a long perk is not going to achieve good results either.

You got the stove top percolator, right? Cowboy coffee!

The only thing to do is experiment -- you need to adjust the amount of coffee in relation to the amount of water. Perk time should be fixed at five minutes. If you perk too long the coffee will taste burnt. Perk for five minutes and take it off the heat. When it stops perking, take out the basket with the grinds and the tube before you pour your coffee.

You got the stove top percolator, right? Cowboy coffee!

The only thing to do is experiment -- you need to adjust the amount of coffee in relation to the amount of water. Perk time should be fixed at five minutes. If you perk too long the coffee will taste burnt. Perk for five minutes and take it off the heat. When it stops perking, take out the basket with the grinds and the tube before you pour your coffee.

Tomorrow morning I'll try it again. After it perked I left the grinds in and poured, tomorrow they come out. :th:

So how was coffee this morning?

About the same as yesterday. :upck: I perked it exactly 5 minutes as per Mike's suggestion and used 5 scoops and 8 cups water. Tomorrow I perk for 8 minutes, 5 scoops and 6 cups water.

Yes, don't mess with all the variables at once. Keep the time the same at five minutes. Keep the coffee the same. Adjust the amount of water for stronger or weaker coffee.

There is the possibility that the coffee is crap.... 5 scoops to eight cups water is usually pretty acceptable.