Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vandenhooff

WTB AFAW Estuary

7 posts in this topic

As title reads, looking for an AFAW Estuary 11 footer, wrapped dual rung.

Please post pictures, prices and include rod's age, builder, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

:wave: Dennis

Last night the upsman brought a Cabela's Predator to my door.

I haven't thrown it yet but it feels a lot like an inexpensive estuary.

The reel seat has been upgraded from the earlier all metal seat.

The guides are what they are and should be fine for spinning braid and whatever conventional.

I'm going to try it for bobber and jigs, krocs & kastmasters, and also bait for what ever.

It's appearance is actually equal or better than the estuary I had.

For $80 + shipping, it's practically a throw away.

Tomorrow I will cast it at the same place as the estuary with the same terminal tackle.

I'll let you know.

Lew

:wave: Dennis

Last night the upsman brought a Cabela's Predator to my door.

I haven't thrown it yet but it feels a lot like an inexpensive estuary.

The reel seat has been upgraded from the earlier all metal seat.

The guides are what they are and should be fine for spinning braid and whatever conventional.

I'm going to try it for bobber and jigs, krocs & kastmasters, and also bait for what ever.

It's appearance is actually equal or better than than the estuary I had.

For $80 + shipping, it's practically a through away.

Tomorrow I will cast it at the same place as the estuary with the same terminal tackle.

I'll let you know.

Lew

Hey Lew :wave:

Thanks I look forward to your comments.

Dennis

:wave: free bump Dennis,

Well.........

If you search SOL for Cabelas Predator you will find there are an awful lot of them in the hands of members. There are a lot of other "non-high-priced" rods that many members swear by and use because they work well and don't break the bank. I'm a relative newby when it comes to surf casting but I did own an estuary which I liked a lot. You can balance my opinions with my limited experience. :)

I'll start with some basics: Predator- 11', 2 piece, 9 guides + tip, collector guide measures 18mm id, wt 244 g(8.6oz)

It looks like the Predator has very inexpensive double foot aluminum oxide guides. My estuary had a set of low riders.

The graphite reel seat is a little lower quality than the estuary's.

The predator has split eva grips fore and aft of the seat. My estuary had shrink tube.

I view the over-all appearance of the predator almost equal to the estuary. The biggest difference is the obvious quality difference of the guides. The estuary kind of looks unfinished from the front of the seat to the butt.

OK- The estuary can't be much lighter than the predator at 8.6oz, however the predator might be a little more tip heavy IIRC but not much.

I put a stradic 5000FI on the predator, same as the estuary, with 14lb fireline. I tried a 1oz jig and thill bobber, 1 1/2oz and 3oz weights. Not trying to set any records, the rod loaded up easily with the three weights that I tried and they went pretty much where I pointed.

For my purposes and skill level the predator is just outstanding!

I'm going to try some lighter bobber and jigs. I think they will be fine.

There is no question that the Estuary is really nice, however you might find a place for one of these also.

:wave: Lew

Great review Lew. Thanks for that. I'll take it into consideration.

Too bad the Cabela's store beside the Seattle Premium Outlets isn't open until later this year. Otherwise I could check it out.

Cheers buddy :wave:

Dennis

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0