Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HatterasJack

New drone sees action in Afghanistan ...

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

pretty cool stuff!

"For the first time ever, the military used a drone to deliver food and supplies to troops in Afghanistan.

On Dec. 17, in a 90-minute flight, the Marine Corps deployed a cargo-lifting K-MAX helicopter drone, carrying 3,500 pounds of food and supplies to U.S. Marines at Combat Outpost Payne.

“We delivered cargo that was supposed to be delivered by convoy; now that convoy has three pallets that it does not have to carry,” said Maj. Kyle O’Connor, the officer-in-charge of the mission.

K-MAX is the latest robotic aircraft to join the military's expanding drone fleet, which include high-flying spy jets, small hand-launched planes and missile-firing hunter-killer aircraft.

Before its deployment, the heavy-lift drone chopper, made by Lockheed Martin Corp. and Kaman Aerospace Corp., underwent flight testsin Twentynine Palms.

Lockheed and Kaman teamed in 2007 to transform Kaman’s manned power-lift helicopter into a drone capable of autonomous or remote-controlled cargo delivery. Kaman designed the airframe and Lockheed designed the helicopter’s mission management and control systems."

Yep, I am afraid that the days of the "wild blue yonder boys" is coming to an end for the most part. Drones can do it much less expensively and of course it reduces loss of highly trained personnel. The Geeks Will Inherit The Earth!!!! :)

Yep, I am afraid that the days of the "wild blue yonder boys" is coming to an end for the most part. Drones can do it much less expensively and of course it reduces loss of highly trained personnel. The Geeks Will Inherit The Earth!!!! :)

Kinda sucks really. The dogfighters of the world are my personal idols. WW2 guys mostly.

Kinda sucks really. The dogfighters of the world are my personal idols. WW2 guys mostly.

Can't disagree, Mokes but time and technology move on. "The Chivalry" is being phased out. However, technology is blind. When someone finds a fool proof way to neutralize the electronics and all these robots crash and burn, there will probably be a need for manned aircraft both fixed and rotary, again. Or, they may find that manned aircraft is the best way to take out drones of all sorts.:D

Yes, the new drones are good stuff. Anything that reduces the risks to our personnel is good. Btw... whatever happened to that drone our current occupier of the WH lost to Iran?