Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tigermaple5

Chainsaw & Chisel fish Blue Fin Tuna Full Mount underway...

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Past 2 nights .....3 Plank Laminate, by chainsaw & chisel she'll be born. New full 3d style of going about these.. No more half fish for a while :) 

Doweling in fins, and sharpening chisels daily. Full Striper next up. 

A1 .JPG

P1070263.JPGP1070264.JPGP1070275.JPGP1070282.JPGP1070297.JPGP1070321.JPGP1070323.JPGP1070340.JPG

Carved each fin yesterday 3/8th's Doweling in by 4am. Up & in the shop at the cocks crow .

Hey, my next striper will be craved outta' that 7 foot black cherry log I've been drying for 1.5 yrs. Coal tar'd the end to slow dry & prevent checking.

Figured it's time to dig in, and make some more sexy sculpture... There's a guy on the Fbook that makes maori hooks & other marine sculpture that I'm a big fan of,

along with the woodworker known as seaviewer ! God I love this site. It's really coming full circle, with so many great craftsman . 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaLodon_Hunter View Post

awesome. if only i could learn how to do that.

Just start, carving ideas that already exist can be just like math, until you get into crazy forms in your head. The Painting is another story. Just practice bud. You can do it. 1- 2 hours a night & I've found you can become efficient at anything if ya just put in the work. Talent only comes in when your mind is in the zone of idea making. The rest is all just like roofing. That's this morning perspective anyway.

I've widdled away & oil painted for 35 yrs. I'd love to teach a few younger dudes one day & help em' get around all the snags I ran into through time. Trial & error, trial & error you can do anything. 

I'd really like to learn the fiddle. :)  Any craft I think in the first few years is just math, then when you really know your tools talent may rear it's viscous head.. 

I love working with other craftsmen, years ago I had a sculpture barn I belonged to.. The last 15 yrs it's been a solitary action. Maybe one day I can share the bulk of what I've learned in Art.

Pay it Forward !

You should see the 5 foot Whale Tale Table I'm making. It'll either be a table or a yard sculpture ? Not sure yet. I'm getting into fiberglass molds too now. fun fun.

Nice looking tuna. You know you can paint it with watercolor paint and then clear coat wood for realistic look. I tried carving. I had the patience but not the skill. I do mosaics with cut glass. Just finished the surfboard.

[ATTACHMENT=4157]DSC00958.JPG (5,791k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrell View Post

Nice looking tuna. You know you can paint it with watercolor paint and then clear coat wood for realistic look. I tried carving. I had the patience but not the skill. I do mosaics with cut glass. Just finished the surfboard.

OUCH did you say water color ? nononono I'm tryin to break out of folk art / craft  this time not fall back into it. Fingers crossed. :) 

Beside Watercolors would just blotch unless I primed it 1st.  I know my other friends work. I'm just going for my own thing...

No more half mounts... I'm moving toward full mounts / Oil painted / hand carved. Just what I enjoy, and I have an idea on how I can use them for work. 

Thank you though I appreciate the look out. 

I'll show ya the master plan after this cod trip saturday. 

Thanks B, I stick with Oil Paints & marine varnish.... I'll Leave water colors to the other guys.  I think they come out better in Oils... Not many people do it, I've seen "ONE" realistic carving once in Newport RI. in the old scrimshaw shop. Till I reach that level it's all folk art. 

1. Cause you have to love oil paints & have a relationship with em.

2. I do my own thing whenever I can. I don;t think many guys are laminating 3-4 boards or using whole kiln dried logs anymore. 

3. A Glass Surfboard ? OUCH MAN.... if you hit a rock it's over.... Kiddin'

6. HeY I carved all the fin details last night so far 3 nights on the tuna....   It's looking like a new monster compared to last years 70-90 finished. See now that I slow down I think they'll get more interesting.

Than the one's in my photo album.. 

OLD STYLE :   Blah  - 

900x600px-LL-77173b0d_525x525px-LL-abd59c85_vbattach430805.jpg900x600px-LL-e24aec85_525x525px-LL-514b32a9_vbattach459426.jpg900x600px-LL-59cee2f9_DSC_0429.jpeg

GOING MORE 3D now...    Yea !   We'll see how they turn out. It's very rare to find full 3D carved mounts these days. You can find 1/2 mounts. like those above & 

some guys are much better. Rather than 2 day fish, I'm shootin for a one-two weeker.. at nights. Who knows maybe next fish will be a 3 week fish and see what that looks like. fun fun. . The fishin gods make me do it. It's not a conscious decision  ;) 

I can't find the name of that ARTIST... I think he was an old DECOY carver or Scrimshaw artist. I've seen a lot of mounts fiberglass & wood. Nothing came close

to this guy. I still can;t find his name or work.. But he had the most beautiful striper I ever saw in my life sitting in that old scrimshaw shop. I could tell he took his time

this tuna won;t come that close. But I'm working my way there. I'd say in 3 more years. I'll have it down, and get them to look the way I envision em'

SNOW DAY ! today 4am shoveling the driveway.  blahg 

PJ Miles

post-42759-14230777729417_thumb.jpg

DSC_0821.jpg

Still in rough cravin' stage here...   Hey I'll post last nights fin work later tonight..  we're getting there.   The little engine that could time. 

Goal here is to start by chainsaw & end only by chisel.. Ok a lil sandpaper. NO rotary garbage. Goin' Old School ...  Well I guess the chainsaw is a rotary tool,

but you know what I mean.. No dremels. I've found dremels shortcut your learning process and it shows in the work. If you start with a chisel pace I'm thinking it will show.  Key is sharpening those old swiss chisels handed down & keep sharpening em; Heck it's actually more functional once you get a rhythm.

Try again ! on the carving... I still say carving from an existing form is just math & time... Talents jumps in on the paint. or carving form from your head alone.

Here' I'm carving from an old  encyclopedia pic.   Lets start a fish carvin club. My shop door is WIDE open to anyone who want's to come play.

0126121154.jpgA1a....JPGA1b...JPGA1c...JPGP1070799.jpgP1070801.JPGzzzjhgouyfo.jpg       

Don't take any "Wooden Anchors" !

Up next a cool Cherry  & Hickory Great white surprise .  So far 3 night & a half day on the tuna. Been working too much in NY lately Blarg ! 

I think 2 more nights on the blue fin baby to get'er done. I had a great plan to have 3 of these on a wall & carve a small school of bait fish they'll be chasing. 

4 new paintings on deck for more insomnia fish art nights, after work. Someone thought I was retired cause of these things.. No no I just can;t sleep ;) Never could. 

Thanks for the tips & ideas for new works coming up. I enjoy sharing it all with my pals here. 

Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity.

PJ Miles Jan 31 12