Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TJones

Musky Jerkbaits...

84 posts in this topic

I haven't caught a lot of muskies....... But I LOVE fishing for them. One of my goals for this season is to spend a fair amount of time learning to fish different jerkbaits as I have yet to land a muskie on one. I had a nice little gift certificate for Bass Pro shops, so decided to make my first freshwater tackle purchase of 2012. These were the two that I picked up:

[img=

9" weighted suick (Black sucker holoform)

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2762669/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

I'm pretty psyched to try these baits out in 2012.... hopefully they will both come home with some teeth marks in them at some point. You muskie guys, what are your favorite jerkbaits? Do you prefer one style over they other... ie. Dive/Rise vs. Glide baits? Feel free to share any tips techinques you'd like to pass on that might help us all in our pursuits for toothy fish this coming season.

No fish for me yet on a glide bait or jerkbait. Actually I don't even own a musky jerkbait and was looking into picking one up over the winter to try out. Its hard for me to put down the bucktails since I have so much confidence in them. I did catch one toothy guy on a super shad rap years back but that is more of a crankbait. Like to hear what people use in this area.

The Suick Thriller is a standard in any muskie box and I have had many follows on them but have yet to get a muskie to commit to biting one. I had a muskie follow a bunch of times on multiple days from the same spot one fall and still not get a bite. I've never used a Squirrely Hellhound though. I had my first jerkbait/glider fish a few years ago on a 6" Reef Hawg.

Had a fish come up on both a 6" Phantom and a lemonhead Hell Hound, but sadly couldn't get either to hit. I like glidebaits a lot, they're fun to fish and they work well all season long. Suick's are always a classic and must-have in the tackle box. Good choices!

Learn that Hell Hound well, a sharp twitch with the rod will get that bait to dive up and down, can be killer for followers.

And for the Suick, check out article's on how to tune the tail, to get the bait to wiggly as it floats back up. Also, I've always attached small colorado blades on snap swivels to the back of my Suick's, just adds a little flash.

Thanks for replies guys.... Skunkmaster, I'm like you in the past when I have tried a jerkbait, I always end up putting them down in favor of something I have had success with before. Hoping to end that streak this year! I have had action in the past on WTD topwater, so I'm figuring glide bait can't be that different.

TF, some great tips there thank you! I can see after tossing these lures that you are right, I definitely found right away that I'm gonna love the Hellhound. It works great, and easy to use. Love the tail on it too! There is definitely a learning curve especially with the Suick though. I think I got it to run pretty good now, but still may need a little bit of tweaking. It wanted to constantly go to one side and it took a fair amount of bending the tail and hook eyes and line tie to get it to work mostly straight with a little side to side. How do you rig the blade on the tail... Do you drill a small hole in it? Thanks again!

I'm the last guy who should be chiming in about muskies......they really piss me off so much. I can only catch one by accident, however. I recently spoke to a serious river musky guy, he quit bassin about 5 years ago and now strictly fishes for musky only. His go to lure is a "shallow raider". It's a fairly large jointed stick bait that runs about a foot deep a little more with a faster retrieve. He fishes it on a stout 7ft. rod, 50 lb. braid, larger casting reel, no wire, just a quality snap. His count for last year was 45 most around 38 to 40 inches with 8 over 45 and one 50. He had his camera along so it was no bull ****e. He told me he does change up now and then, particularly in the summer when he goes to large in line spinners but the "raider" was his go to lure.

Learn to fish both types of jerkbaits. When muskies are active, they will chase down your bucktails and you may even get an occasional reaction strike from a neutral fish if you get it close enough to his face. Jerkbaits will trigger many more strikes from neutral fish and they are in this state a vast majority of the time. Your lure choices are good, both types catch fish. There is no magic jerkbait, you need to tune and work the lures correctly. Many make the mistake of buying too many baits and not learning to work them properly. Check out Youtube for some on-line demos of the baits you own.

Don't modify the Hellhound at all, you will affect the balance and destroy the action.

Some like to weight the suicks, but I wouldn't drill any holes in it yet. It will work fine without the weights, but if you must, try adding small bell sinkers to the front split ring. The rear tail will help the bait dive if bent down, but don't overdo it. A little at a time is best.

Thanks for replies guys.... Skunkmaster, I'm like you in the past when I have tried a jerkbait, I always end up putting them down in favor of something I have had success with before. Hoping to end that streak this year! I have had action in the past on WTD topwater, so I'm figuring glide bait can't be that different.

TF, some great tips there thank you! I can see after tossing these lures that you are right, I definitely found right away that I'm gonna love the Hellhound. It works great, and easy to use. Love the tail on it too! There is definitely a learning curve especially with the Suick though. I think I got it to run pretty good now, but still may need a little bit of tweaking. It wanted to constantly go to one side and it took a fair amount of bending the tail and hook eyes and line tie to get it to work mostly straight with a little side to side. How do you rig the blade on the tail... Do you drill a small hole in it? Thanks again!

The Hellhound is one of my favorite gliders, I love that damn thing. For the Suick, bend the corners of the tail down like dog ears, that'll make it wiggle a bit. I like when they go side to side with a sharp snap, kinda like a glider even though they are a dive/rise bait. And yes, drill a small hole in the middle of the tail and insert a small split ring with a snap swivel, then you can attach a small 00 or 01 Colorado blade. BIG difference in dirty spring water :th:

I'm the last guy who should be chiming in about muskies......they really piss me off so much. I can only catch one by accident, however. I recently spoke to a serious river musky guy, he quit bassin about 5 years ago and now strictly fishes for musky only. His go to lure is a "shallow raider". It's a fairly large jointed stick bait that runs about a foot deep a little more with a faster retrieve. He fishes it on a stout 7ft. rod, 50 lb. braid, larger casting reel, no wire, just a quality snap. His count for last year was 45 most around 38 to 40 inches with 8 over 45 and one 50. He had his camera along so it was no bull ****e. He told me he does change up now and then, particularly in the summer when he goes to large in line spinners but the "raider" was his go to lure.

Geeze at the rate im going I'd be lucky to catch 45 muskies in this decade, let alone a year, lol... I have a couple jointed depth raiders that I really like, and actually did get a ski on one this past year. Never tried the shallow one though. My goal is to get at least one fish over 40 inches this year... Got three at 37" this past year and couldnt' go bigger... I'm stuck! I prolly spend too much time chasing bass and walleyes to be a real serious musky hunter.

Learn to fish both types of jerkbaits. When muskies are active, they will chase down your bucktails and you may even get an occasional reaction strike from a neutral fish if you get it close enough to his face. Jerkbaits will trigger many more strikes from neutral fish and they are in this state a vast majority of the time. Your lure choices are good, both types catch fish. There is no magic jerkbait, you need to tune and work the lures correctly. Many make the mistake of buying too many baits and not learning to work them properly. Check out Youtube for some on-line demos of the baits you own.

Don't modify the Hellhound at all, you will affect the balance and destroy the action.

Some like to weight the suicks, but I wouldn't drill any holes in it yet. It will work fine without the weights, but if you must, try adding small bell sinkers to the front split ring. The rear tail will help the bait dive if bent down, but don't overdo it. A little at a time is best.

So far, for the most part, all I can get is follows on the blade baits... I definitely need to trigger more of the neutral fish, you are right that is definitely what I am hoping to do more of this year. Most of the time I am pretty sure there are fish in the areas I'm fishing, but just seem like no action unless all the stars align and perfect conditions... Then I might get one or two, but I guess that is musky fishing.

Don't worry I won't be changing the Hellhound at all, I really like it... It's the suick that seems like needs a little bit of a learning curve. I think I have it running pretty good now though, but time will tell I guess haha.

The Hellhound is one of my favorite gliders, I love that damn thing. For the Suick, bend the corners of the tail down like dog ears, that'll make it wiggle a bit. I like when they go side to side with a sharp snap, kinda like a glider even though they are a dive/rise bait. And yes, drill a small hole in the middle of the tail and insert a small split ring with a snap swivel, then you can attach a small 00 or 01 Colorado blade. BIG difference in dirty spring water :th:

Thanks TF... That trick with the blade sounds really cool. I could defintiely see how that would add to the appeal of the bait. I'm picturing a little orange blade on the tail. Might make it a little more effective on figure 8 too idk. BTW, do you guys continue to pump or jerk these lures through your figure 8 or just kind of pull them around like you would a bucktail?

If you're getting follows you're doing something right. Figure 8's and really sharp hooks will help seal the deal. On really pressured lakes(most lakes now days) many fish will bug out at the boat after little more than a half turn on the eight. They've seen hundreds of boats and fisherman. My theory is bass guys and other non-muskie fishers might condition the fish that when the lure get's to the boat it's going to disappear but then again they're fish and they ain't too smart. Frustrating as a can be but remember that fish just told you two things, where it's hanging out and what it wants. Come back later on some fish or keep casting on others.

Geeze at the rate im going I'd be lucky to catch 45 muskies in this decade, let alone a year, lol... I have a couple jointed depth raiders that I really like, and actually did get a ski on one this past year. Never tried the shallow one though. My goal is to get at least one fish over 40 inches this year... Got three at 37" this past year and couldnt' go bigger... I'm stuck! I prolly spend too much time chasing bass and walleyes to be a real serious musky hunter.

Just one caveat here the guy is retired and fishes 3 to 5 days a week all year long.

10-4....I keep promising myself I will strictly do the musky thing....rarely happens, although, this year I did devote a lot of time to a top water biggie to no avail.

Just one caveat here the guy is retired and fishes 3 to 5 days a week all year long.

10-4....I keep promising myself I will strictly do the musky thing....rarely happens, although, this year I did devote a lot of time to a top water biggie to no avail.

Sounds like I need to retire... Lol. Seriously though kudos to that guy that takes a lot of hard work sure. He doesn't fish out of a river pro boat does he? If so I might know who you are talking about.

By the way did you hear the sunburry power plant has shutdown?

TJ,

In regards to your figure 8 question, I like to pump the rod forward randomly during the figure eights. That will make both baits dart and kick out to the side, and it almost always causes a strike, especially if the fish is hot.