Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RJ

OBAMA GUTS MILITARY AND GIVES RAISES TO BUREAUCRATS

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I believe this will be a major negative Obama bone of contension in the {Presidential race. Especially since he is giving the store away to his political cronies.

OBAMA GUTS MILITARY AND GIVES RAISES TO BUREAUCRATS

Washington Examiner EDitoral Dec. 9, 2012

Hard facts ought to prevail where American security is concerned. This applies equally whether the issue at hand is the geopolitical consequences of ill-advised defense cuts or the possibility that waste and fraud in military procurement might result in the deaths of American soldiers. It is in that spirit that we view President Obama's announcement last week at the Pentagon of his new national defense doctrine. While there will be much more to say here in the future, two points stand out for now.

First, Obama claimed that "even as our troops continue to fight in Afghanistan, the tide of war is receding." What logically should have followed such an assertion was something about the surrender of an enemy and assurance that his defeat was so total and comprehensive that decades, if not centuries, will pass before he might again threaten the safety and security of the American people.

Obama could say nothing like that because no such surrender has been tendered, and it is clear to anybody with open eyes that the aggressors in the War on Terror are -- Osama bin Laden's death notwithstanding -- planning lethal new attacks on Americans here at home and American interests around the world. It is as though FDR had said in April 1943 that the tide of World War II was receding and therefore it was time to slash American defense spending because American pilots had shot down a plane carrying Japanese Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto, chief planner behind the attack on Pearl Harbor. No matter that Japanese troops still occupied half of the Pacific and would continue to wage war against the U.S.

Second, another Obama decision became public last week: The chief executive wants to give federal civil servants a half-percent pay raise. The absurdity of this proposal is clear in light of the excellent reporting of USA Today's Dennis Cauchon. In a series of stories in 2010 that drew emotional criticism from federal employee union leaders but no factual refutations, Cauchon used the government's own data to show that civil servants' compensation has far outstripped that of private-sector workers. "The compensation gap between federal and private workers has doubled in the past decade," Cauchon found. "Federal civil servants earned average pay and benefits of $123,049 in 2009, while private workers made $61,051 in total compensation, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis. The data are the latest available." If anything, Obama should freeze federal pay indefinitely so private-sector employees can catch up with the bureaucrats.

To be sure, the proposed raise is so small as to be largely symbolic, but that's precisely the point: It carries a vital re-election year message from Obama to a key sector of his base constituency -- unionized public employees. It tells them Obama will take care of them, even as he paves the way for firing half a million men and women in uniform who likely are not among his re-election supporters. The hard-eyed conclusion here must be that winning re-election is more important to Obama than assuring American security at home and abroad.

"There you go again." R. Regan

How is there any hate for the military?

We've scaled back on our Middle East operations. Should we just keep the soldiers employed ad infinitum? We're broke after all.

Straight from the democratic 'hate the military' playbook. His time will soon come to an end.

Exactly. So far, as expected, I see all the spending 'cuts' are coming from National Defense. Granted, every Gov't. Dept. will need to take a hit, but until I see the Great Society spilling some guts, then I'm not satisfied with Marxism Lite from Great Leader.

If we want to save billions upon billions upon billions, then gut the living spit out of Homeland 'Security'. That is the most tit useless Gov't agency I ever saw. Generally speaking, we should leave Military spending alone, for the most part, especially those areas which directly impact the health & safety of our brave service personnel.

How is there any hate for the military?

How else do you explain the democrat track record of gutting the military at every turn?

Rational.

And FYI - Our military has never been gutted. We spend as much on our military as the rest of the world combined. I realize that you liberals don't want to cut spending, but we spend WAY too much on our military and have little by the way of geographical threats to our homeland.

Rational.

And FYI - Our military has never been gutted. We spend as much on our military as the rest of the world combined. I realize that you liberals don't want to cut spending, but we spend WAY too much on our military and have little by the way of geographical threats to our homeland.

Good points. But unfortunately the more we cut 'defense', the more emboldened the rabidly rogue Terrorist States become. They just get more & more antagonistic. Air power is one thing, but boots on the ground grunts are still the backbone of the military. Eventually, they have to go in and take the real estate. Not always, but usually, and eventually.

Any cuts we make to the military, in these tenuous times, must be done with a scalpel, and not a meat cleaver.

we spend more on everything then the rest of the world combined. We spend more on programs that the rest of the world hasnt even dreamed up yet.

Maybe we should be cutting the civil servants. Scale back the IRS, or maybe the dept of Education, dept of commerce, interior, HLS, a few less czars, a few less new agencies...

Noooo can't cut the fat from those federal union employees

Military cutting and getting caught short goes way back, Before both World Wars we had just cut back on our armed forces, and had to have our soldiers go into battle with less than adequate equipment.

Is it any coincidence that 9/11 happened 3/4 of the way into Bush's first year, right after Clinton balanced the budget on the back of the Military?

What was it ol Winnie said about not learning history, and having to repeat it?

Since the Sept. 11 attacks, the annual defense budget has more than doubled to $700 billion, and annual defense industry profits have nearly quadrupled, approaching $25 billion last year.

The only people who are going to be hurt by the reductions are the defense contractors Halliburton and company's like that , The base's don't even have the housing for all the returning soldiers and our military is not the the same as it was at the start of the 1st gulf war ... now it Has experienced battle harden troops from the top down and if you have noticed our overwhelming size hasn't and technology hasn't done us a whole lot to get us out of places any time soon ww2 was what 5 years no its time to play a little defense and give the offense a rest

Dena, as much as I dis like Clinton for his antics and lying , he is NOT to bame for the RIF reduction in force, this was done by the BRAC commision,Base realignment commission who went around closing bases, cutting Army divisions out, last I knew the Army had Two Phantom Divisons on Paper, USMC cut back of troops,USAFputting hundreds of planes in Bone yard in Az and Navy decommisioning many ships and many military Men/wome sent home, the base closing hit some States hard (Weak /Junior senator) some states gained military when closed one and sent to another state, Waste in this GD ,right in Naval Base Orlando they had just Built a new 4 story hospital so new it had not really opened. Close entire base So this RIF went a long ways in Balancing the Budget and having a Surplus if wondering where money came from as i recall they sent somew where around 300,00 military people home This saved lot of cash

Shortage is right now, spare parts, man power, if not short why did they call up Nat'l Guard units which performed GD well under fire, want to cut some Money, cut the hell out of Dept of Energy, many many more dept that can well afford cut backs, cut out some Belt way consulting Firms with Billion dollar multi year contracts, quit paying for shoddy work on new ships being built such as 835 Million over run on one POS ship that is still FU,

US Navy right now , today is already preparing to cut several thousand men and women from the Fleet, I talk with them daily and know this for a fact. Folks we are bare Bones right now

Not my words how ever ""US Military is not fighting what is in front of them they are fighting for what they left behind them , Now just who is that. Every one, each and all should be prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to perpetuate the freedon we enjoy to those that follow. It will sure be far better than Bondage

Great points, Al.:clap: I think it borderline treasonous, and in the least treacherous, to cut support for those folks brave enough to put their asses on the line for their country. If we want cuts, take it out of Homeland 'Security'. There's a tit useless bureaucratic nightmare.