Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Turd Ferguson

Replacing Reel Seat

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I'm into a bit of a debacle here. I have an old Basspro telescopic flippin' stick that is in desperate need of a new reel seat. So me being young and foolish, I removed the old reel seat and cork. It went very well, but I think I may have screwed up. Being that this is a telescopic rod, I have no idea how I will fit the new reel seat and cork rings onto the blank. They certainly won't fit over the upper section of the rod, and I don't think I'll be able to install them from the lower section. And as far as I can tell, there is no way to remove the upper section without ruining the lower section or removing all of the rod's guides. Hopefully I can get to a rod shop on Monday and get their opinion. Did I seriously **** up on this one?

Little lengthy, but thanks for listening!

Use a bigger seat that will slip over from the rear or use a plate seat or tape the reel on using black electrical tape.

You definitely should have figured this out before you started the job but bottom line is you have a couple of ways to apply a new seat and also you can use the rod without a seat. A cork tape handle can be applied regardless of anything else you did so I assume only the seat is an issue.

Use a bigger seat that will slip over from the rear or use a plate seat or tape the reel on using black electrical tape.

You definitely should have figured this out before you started the job but bottom line is you have a couple of ways to apply a new seat and also you can use the rod without a seat. A cork tape handle can be applied regardless of anything else you did so I assume only the seat is an issue.

Thanks! Yeah I'm extremely new to rod building, so I really have no idea what I'm doing. As long as I can get the reel seat on without a problem then I should be okay. The cork isn't a huge issue for me.

you took the cork off. When you rebuild it, use neopreme grips (eva) slip the forgrip on first, then seat the reelseat . Then pull back the forgrip in place. slip on butt grip. It will be tight. If it's real tight put some dish soap inside and then slip it on. Then the soap drys it will be ok.