Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hotfishgirl

a few questions about getting a boat

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

I really would like to have a small bay boat for fishing my favorite spot,duxbury bay.I started saving money last year and will have close to 5k by may.Is it possible to find a good reliable boat,engine,trailer for this?I am also thinking about skipping the trailer and keeping it down in duxbury or kingston and i know that can be a substantial cost as well.I have been in boats plenty of times.I know how to operate one.I know nothing about checking an engine to see if its a good one or not.I am far from a mechanic.My questions are

Is 5k enough or keep saving?

is anyone willing to help me find one so i don't buy a lemon?

does anyone have or know of a great deal on a boat?

I would be more then happy to take who ever helps me out on my boat from time to time or i could set you up with a nice aquarium for helping me.

Thanks for the help.

You can get what you're looking for with the $$ you have, just gotta do the leg work. Keep an eye on craigslist and look for a 15-17 ft center console or skiff. If you want the name of a good mechanic that will give you an honest opinion for a reasonable price shoot me a pm. That being said the more money you have the better.

Id be happy to help you out. 5k may get you a nice boat for in and around the bay. I have a great mechanic that can check out potential motors. Shoot me an email and ill get you my cell number so we can talk about you needs / wants.

Wow. You are two weeks too late. I just sold my skiff I used all around that bay two weeks ago. Boat, motor and trailer needed nothing and had to let it go for $3500. First time in many years I'm down to one boat. It's a buyers market.

I had twice the money saved and planned on buying brand new but after my fall on the rocks last year the dentist got half my money:mad:

Plan on saving some money for repairs, registration, repairs, upgrades, repairs, and oh ya, did I mention repairs.

Always keep in mind: Think twice move once. Like chunka said, it is a buyers market and to do your leg work. You can discover a great find. Great time to buy.

This is what I would get...http://www.austinkayak.com/products/1631/Hobie-Mirage-Pro-Angler-Kayak-2012.html. Now all you would need is a trailer for it. No engine to worry about, no maintenance to speak of and you can keep it at home.

HFG Don,t forget you will need to spend---money---every year on it.

Dock fees

or mooring fees

registration and excise taxes

bottom paint if left on the hook

And with our wonderful --alcohol/gas mix you can plan on having someone play with the motor more than you like

Now for the posative side---It's worth it.

PS Hang around the shore,boatyards,docks, and anyone that makes a living on the shore to get a handle on who to see if you get in a jam with your boat.

PPS Is a 14-16' tin boat ok for your waters??? ask,ask,ask you have all winter

I made the leap last year. I went in pretty blind, but did my homework. I checked craigslist and other outlets daily until I found what I feel was a great deal. I would definately consider a trailer, otherwise you'll be paying someone to haul it. Irene came through late August, and I know more than one person thatt was forced to hang it up after that. Its going to be a lot more money than the initial cost. Boat reg, trailer reg, I insured mine, bottom paint, electronics, 2 strokes eat feul, boat gear, small repairs that seem to occur bi-weekly... But, it's definately a buyers market....

Mon deux centimes, as a boat owner and semi-proficient mechanic, the more money you have, the newer the boat you can have. I would recommend an outboard, as opposed to my I/O stern drive or inboard. Outboards are easier to get serviced, and IMO, less expensive to run over all. That being said, My I/O stern drive runs like the day it was made, and has not caused me any grief after I fixed everything and kept the salt water off it. I have a 1985 Grady White Seafarer 227 that I got for 11K. It had a volvo penta replace a mercruiser in 2004 so I have a new transom, lucky for me. I still have to replace the gas tank in April, as the life span on mine expired 5 to 10 years ago. Yay for used boats!

Now the bad news, some people lie about their boats, they forget to mention that it partially sunk, or that it starts great cold, but is hard to start when hot. Or my favorite, they show you the engine hot after they took three hours to get it running, or they only can start it on low humidity days (my favorite). I found out after the sale, that my boat was partially sunk.

You never have to act right that minute when buying a boat, and you should have a mechanic look it over, if possible. Good luck!

If you're thinking small. I would get a 14-16 aluminum boat with a 20 -30 hp motor. Be fine for Duxbury Bay. I had a 14 fter for a few years and fished all over Narraganset Bay spending very little for gas. You could find a nice setup for 3-5K.

A 16' tin boat is probablt your best bet for the price and service that you are looking for. I have caught more fish out of a 16' starcfract than all my other boats combined. They are easy to care for and don't require a huge amount of maintenance etc.. Make sure that you go out and sea trial it so you are not suprised by the ride, some leaky rvivets, how the engien starts both hot and cold etc...

sam