Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
porgyhunter

WOW! Mill Creek in Sandwich Open to Shellfishing

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Went to walk the boardwalk with my little Grandson Sat. And saw an open shellfishing sign....Can't remember ever seeing Mill creek open. Though I did get some nice mussels out of there in the late 70's. Just curious....what do they dig there?

There is hard clam, soft clam, razor clam and jack knife clam in that creek............

But the one thing you'll never see in that creek is a Bourne resident digging them. :(

Why is that? pollution?

no. it's because years ago when the town of bourne split from the town of sandwich, the towns agreed to let sandwich residents have a bourne permit at resident cost because bourne ended up with a majority of the shellfishing beds out of the deal. that being said, no such agreement was ever made in the opposite direction. and even though sandwich beds have been closed for many years, i still don't think it's a fair deal for bourne residents.

no. it's because years ago when the town of bourne split from the town of sandwich, the towns agreed to let sandwich residents have a bourne permit at resident cost because bourne ended up with a majority of the shellfishing beds out of the deal. that being said, no such agreement was ever made in the opposite direction. and even though sandwich beds have been closed for many years, i still don't think it's a fair deal for bourne residents.

+1........

But the one thing you'll never see in that creek is a Bourne resident digging them. :(

Why not, doesn't Sandwich sell non resident shellfish permits? :confused:

there are no clams in the Sandwich creek except for polluted ones from the Taunton River, so I wouldn't chance it folks

those polluted clams from the Taunton river are in many communities around the commonwealth who participate in the contaminated relay program...

The town has done its own stocking of seed quahogs for the past three years. The beds are only open on Sundays and for now you are allowed one peck of quahogs. The beds do have some local quahogs among the many cherry stone size and depended upon where you rake can be the difference in what you find in size and numbers.

The piss clams are to far down, buried under many feet of sand to make it a worth while venture and when you do find some they are hand granades.

The town is in the process of raising oysters and i expect that may be a few years away before that is open