Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarrylZ

Front-mount cooler rack on Toyota Tacoma 2009+

73 posts in this topic

Ever have any luck with this Daryl?  I've been searching the board to see if there are any examples using a front mounted hitch on the newer Tacomas.  I just picked up a 2012 early this week.  I have a custom cooler rack and a rod rock that were on my suburban.  I'm thinking about getting a front receiver and having two receivers put onto it to fit my cooler rack, but I'm not sure how low those front receivers sit.

Mike...No, I haven't, though I've done a little research. I've discovered that yes, you can find a front-mount hitch (single receiver) that will mount on the Tacoma, but it isn't exactly hidden from view. I'm not really a fan of using the single receiver either, for stability reasons. I can't seem to find the photo of the one I saw. Another company (CBI) makes a hitch that mounts in behind the grill so that the receiver sticks out and can be hidden behind the license plate. Installation is pretty involved, and the unit itself is pricey. Check out the how-to here:

Hidden front hitch

A service station in Seaside Park did my installs on my previous two trucks (Bronco 2 and Ford Ranger), so I'm considering going back there again. Pricey though...$300 as I recall.

I have an off-road skid plate on mine, and I'd like to keep it...so I think a custom install will be the way to go. Let me know how you make out.

hey there this is my first post

i have a tacoma 09 with front hidden hitch'it requires cutting i small piece of of your lover grill you loose no ground clearance at all

ill try n post some pics if i can figure that out

2 companys make them

one is a company called ato i have his # if u need it

if it is ok i can post a link to the tacoma site im on with the info needed ill wait for a mod to chime in

and the other company is called cbi

opps i see you found it.....lol

good luck thats the sire i was talking about.....

let me know if u need help and yes its a lil pricey at around $300

Thanks guys, I did see those hitches that are hidden behind the grill. They are pretty slick but I'm not sure if I want to go cutting up my truck just yet. :), I'm pretty sure that posting a link to another forum is a frowned upon but I can guess where you are talking about.. My cooler rack was built for my suburban so I need to pull it out this weekend and see if it would block the lights.

Yeah Mike, gotta be careful. I've got a 72 qt rack, but have been considering upgrading to a larger capacity with the hopes that I wouldn't block the lights either. But...not sure I wanna lay out the bucks for a new rack too. Back when I got mine in '93, I think I spent a little over $300 for the rack AND installation.

As you can see, there are two openings in my skid plate...ideally, the mounts would go there and I'd be good-to-go...we'll see...

Absolutely LOVE this truck...my first Toyota...

Hey Daryl

I was poking around another forum and came across some pics of your rig .... looks great. Of course I may be biased because my 2012 is pretty much the same thing with the double cab and long bed in gray. :) I even stopped by a leer dealer today and was looking at a XL cap for it. I will probably just call around to get a few more prices before ordering one this week. While I was there in talked to the guy about a front hitch. It is definitely doable but the price is a little steep. He estimated about 300 for the bracket which included welding on two receivers and installation. I'm not sure that it would fit with that skid plate on there though. I had been thinking about getting the skid plate for my truck but am going to hold off until after I figure out a solution for the rack.

Hi Mike...I was going to wind up with a 2012 in Nautical Blue, but the dealer jerked me around. When I went to an alternate dealer to negotiate on a 2012 in the gray, I came across this 2010. I'm guessing you were over on the TW site...I recently posted the pix over there. That site is a good resource.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do right now. Actually, I think I'm going to unbolt the skid plate this morning and take a look around to see what I'm dealing with. On my way home yesterday, I drove passed a Tacoma in a parking lot that had the front mount hitch, but I didn't have time to stop and examine. You can get a front mount with the single receiver for like $170 I think...but I really want two supports so it has better balance. That makes it more interesting. I also really want the rack in the front, so it's available to me even when I tow my boat. My Dad has a rack with a receiver mount (single), and he's not using it, so I think I could "acquire" it from him :) and use it in the rear receiver...go on my merry way without any expense or changes to the front of the truck. But that's not what I really want. Or, I could go to the expense of the custom install in Seaside. Decisions, decisions. :confused:

Ok, I took off the skid plate and took some pictures...will post them later. Still not sure what I'm gonna do. I lined up the rack against the front to see how it might go, and I think if I could weld and had 2 pieces of 2" square tube, I'd be good to go. The pictures will tell that story. Still contemplating the front-mount hitch. I want to get the skid plate (or part thereof) back in position...hopefully. If it's not there, the sand can easily fly up into the engine compartment...

blushin...Thanks for the idea. I have a Jersey Surf Products rack, and the one tow hook is welded on. But I still might make the call... :th:

Darryl Yes i made the the part the goes intghe hitch 2x2 steel tube welded to fit his truck...i dont have any pix of the hitch ...i can see if i have any more of the riser ...