Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skinnywater

What kind of Bait fish is this?

37 posts in this topic

not an emerald shiner. this is an emerald shiner. eye relative to jaw hinge

FBN, i always thought the golden shiners start out looking like the ones in the pic because i have never seen a small golden shiner. always thought they started turning gold with orange fins around 5"+

Pleco I think that is the aka roach fish. 

I don't think so. Definitely looks like an adult golden shiner, and the first picture looks like a juvenile golden shiner. For one, roaches aren't native to the US, and for two, their fins are typically reddish even as juveniles.

That fish has a red fin.

That's because it's an adult golden shiner. Juvenile golden shiners (which is what I think is what the OP posted) lack the red fins. Sorry, I should have been more clear on that.

[ATTACHMENT=4257]common shiner.jpg (7k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] Looks like a common shiner to me. They are nicknamed "Silversides Minnows" in Tennessee, but they're actually common shiners.

[ATTACHMENT=4258]goldenshiner.jpg (35k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] Here's a golden shiner.

I've never seen common shiners in bait shops. But golden shiners are sold at several marinas, bait shops, and larger outdoor establishments....Common shiners don't seem to be as hardy in the bait buckets as golden shiners.