Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jameso20o

Has anyone used/heard of this lure?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I think it is called a gag's grabber lure. It looks like a bomber, and the one I have is around 5 inches long and black. I've had it for some while but never used it. Has anyone used it?

For this particular fish, it was from a yak. Conditions were nite, 10 mph wind blowing with an outgoing tide on a river's flats. Lure was inhaled from behind, completely disappeared in it's mouth. Only reason I kept it was a friend, who owns a B&T shop, was complaining to me that I hadn't brought a fish in to weigh for a pic on their wall. So, I did the next morning. How to retrieve it ranges from let it sit to retrieving as fast as you can. Works well in current or the beach, too.

Netcraft and others have the same lures for sale as well, but the Mambo Minnow is available in 40 or more colors, while the generics are usually only available in a few colors.I have fished both the generics and the Mambo's for years and both are extremely effective. I have experimented with loading some with lead shot and had good results, similar to the Redfin although the wiggle is not as tight and some what slower. Some of the colors available are sweet but hard to find in tackle shops. Worth the money if you can find the right colors but stick with the generics if your not looking for anything out of the ordinary.

The Mambo minnow's, Gag's Grabbers, Beach Combers (I think that was the name) and SOL Minnow's are all the same body. The only variation I've seen is the split ring and hook configeration. I keep many of the 5" model handy at all times with black being my favorite. These are best used in the surf on calm to medium surf conditions with a slow, steady retrieve. When you feel a wave surge pause and let the wave do the work for you and then catch up and retrieve slowly again. There have been nights when these are deadly. Hope this helps.;)

hi Dubs!!!

these are one of my favorites down here in NJ, my sentiments are exactly as Dubs except for the color i've done better with the olives. but i think this is one of the lures where color doesnt usually matter, its all about placement.

from the beach my default is angled casts towards the edge of whitewater, but have caught with a slow and steady, stop and go, hurky jerky etc.