Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassNuts

New York Boat Show

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I was in NYC yesterday, so after I did what I had to do, I decided to stop in at the Javits Center and take in the Boat Show. I haven't been there in a few years, so I decided what the hell. I wasn't too overly impressed with what was there. Sure, there were some nice boats....if you want to dump close to $75,000 (and up) on them. Mako has a couple of new designs, as does Boston Whaler. Scout has a couple of interesting boats, and of course the big boys, like Pursuit and Regulator have some absolutely gorgeous vessels. There were even a couple of packages under $30,000...boat, motor and trailer. Is it my imagination, or are Sea Rays getting bigger every year? I got there around 4:00 pm, and there were not as many people there as i expected. I was in and out in 45 minutes. The most fun i has was talking with the Mako rep about my old 23' inboard. He said there are still quite a few of them out there and running strong. There were however, lots of accessories available...from 20' dock lines up to MONSTROUS outboards. Man, that 350 hp Merc is HUGE....as is Yamaha's!!!!! If you're really looking for a swell time, The Fishing Line expert has his own booth there. Maybe he'll tell you how to catch fish right in front of his house. :D I guess for $14, it's not a bad day in NYC. If you go in, enjoy....and have a couple of pretzels from the carts outside...they're always good.

I gave up on that show years ago. Yeah $14 to get in and another $50 for parking, tolls and incidentals for a very scaled down show. 45 minutes in and out? Sounds like there wasn't much to see.

I went for the first time today. There really aren't many boats there that I could afford at this point but it's still fun to look. A small center console in the not too distant future is not out of the question. My wife's student loans are currently preventing that from happening.

My friend bought a Regulator last month and we're in the process now of gearing up for tuna. We really got some great deals on tackle at the show. I picked up a Shimano Terez and a Trevala for fantastic prices. My friend bought a lot more stuff including a VS275 matched with a Terez for casting to tuna all at terrific prices. I think we both went home very happy. Also picked up a very lightweight pair of pliers that will be replacing the heavy brownings that are currently on my surf belt. Hopefully they hold up to the salt.

We also looked at the thermal imaging cameras. Pricey stuff but still very cool. :) You'd never have to worry about not being able to see flotsam when running in the dark.

I went for the first time today. There really aren't many boats there that I could afford at this point but it's still fun to look. A small center console in the not too distant future is not out of the question. My wife's student loans are currently preventing that from happening.

My friend bought a Regulator last month and we're in the process now of gearing up for tuna. We really got some great deals on tackle at the show. I picked up a Shimano Terez and a Trevala for fantastic prices. My friend bought a lot more stuff including a VS275 matched with a Terez for casting to tuna all at terrific prices. I think we both went home very happy. Also picked up a very lightweight pair of pliers that will be replacing the heavy brownings that are currently on my surf belt. Hopefully they hold up to the salt.

We also looked at the thermal imaging cameras. Pricey stuff but still very cool. :) You'd never have to worry about not being able to see flotsam when running in the dark.

Sounds like you had a good time. Both those rods are awesome, which models did you get. The TVC66mh is a beast. What color Terez?

Anyway, glad to hear you are getting out a bit more. Take care.

Funny you should chime in Chris. I stopped by the OTW booth to renew a subscription and I dropped your name but it didn't get me a discount :mad::D I really did and he knew you. I didn't get his name, though.

The Trevala is the TVC66H. I don't have a reel for it yet. I'm thinking maybe a Talica.

The Terez is the 7'8" XH spinner. To be honest I'm not really a fan of any of the Terez colors. They had a light blue and a red but not the yellow. My buddy grabbed the light blue. And I got the red with silver wraps. I have a silver VS250 that I matched it up with and it looks pretty good actually. It's all about looks, right? ;)

The most fun i has was talking with the Mako rep about my old 23' inboard. He said there are still quite a few of them out there and running strong.

Yup, there are. :D

Check out the Miami show next month - now that's a boat show. I like to go for a long weekend and then rent a car and drive down to Islamorada to fish for a few days. 

I went on Saturday. I try to get there every year. I brought my two little guys--3 and 6 yrs old. Leaning toward an upgrade from my Grady W/A to a center console. It's tough to talk to any of the sales guys there when you have little kids with you. I think they just assume you're there to let the kids run wild on some expensive boats. Someone even seemed pissed I was letting my kids climb up into a 21 foot CC with me. C'mon man--it's not a Cabo--it's a Scout! :D

It's like the farmer who shows up at a car dealer in his overalls and plunks down cash for a Cadillac after all the sales guys ignore him. Don't assume anything sales guy!

I've been interested in a low-20's foot cuddy cabin for a while. I went to look after work Friday. I could not believe what boats cost these days. The 23' Grady White is about $140k with a hard top and two 150's. It may be a nice boat, but at the end of the day, it is only a small fishing boat. I couldn't help thinking that in most places around the country, I could buy a house for that much money. :confused:

The boats are expensive brand new but if you looked for a used boat the intial depreciation helps.  I have a Grady and they are quality built boats to last a lifetime if cared for.  You just need to make sure the engine is in good shape.