Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickball

Abu 7000ic3 mag vs Penn 525 mag

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

For the chunkers.... clam guys, bunker heads....bout 4oz of lead.... which would you prefer

BTW.... distance is not the issue, Its the uneducated thumb I'm more concerned with......... I plan on educating it, but would like to know the best place to start....mag control etc... Thanks in advance:)

the 525 mag, has the mag control, will get u distance when needed, holds up to the salt imo better, parts are more readaly avalable, and imo better drag and somewhat lighter and a smaller profile

The mag is a great feature but the Abu has a mechanical brake so you can adjust the brake to lure weight.  525 mag smaller and lighter. I have been throwing 525 mag for years now. It has been discontinued and replaced with the Squall . 

For the chunkers.... clam guys, bunker heads....bout 4oz of lead.... which would you prefer

BTW.... distance is not the issue, Its the uneducated thumb I'm more concerned with......... I plan on educating it, but would like to know the best place to start....mag control etc... Thanks in advance:)

Best place to start is in the local football field with 525 mag set to max slow...

I have the 525mag and started out with squidders. I have to be honest it it will really fly off the spool and will give you one hell of a birds nest if you are not careful. I eventually went with 80lb power pro to give the same diameter of mono. I also saw on another site that if you put 2 rare earth magnets behind the other four you can slow down the speed of the reel. I have been throwing 6oz. spudniks with alot of control. The extra magnet slow down the speed for over runs. They have replaced the sliding control with the dial to control the magnet. The Squall is what I did a more magnets and a dial control.

I have both. Prefer the 525; lighter, smaller, more comfortable, better gear ratio & easier to pull out the occasional birds nest. The only thing that is better on the abu is the spool control and the line out clicker. I feel the braking system and spool tensioner work better than the magnets do, but because of the size and design, the 525 is an easier casting reel and with some practice, it will become second nature. Just do not rely on the clicker too much, you need to be superman to actually hear it on the beach.

If this is your 1st conventional reel I'd get an older Abu made in Sweden IMO they are better build than the I series made in China.

The Penn is also a good choice. But like I stated if it's your 1st Bait Caster you may not like it. It's a lot different than a spinning reel & there are things you need to learn to master your casting. A lot of people get intimidated with a bait caster. They try & cast it like a spinning reel & get all sorts of birds nests & give up to soon. If you decide to go with either take your time & go Slow!

I'm going to send my Abu to Jerry Foran for a gear upgrade in a few weeks, if you are local to me (Long Island), I'd be happy to let you cast both of them, before I send it in. Shoot me a PM with your location.

For a first timer? The Abu. These reels are just different in many aspects. I have used both, and like them both. I use a 7000 size reel, and with  the right rod, I get nice distance for chunking. 

That particular ABU, imho, sucks,,,,,,I would definitely go with the Penn. Drop a couple of additional mags on the backside of the carrier and that will give great control. The ABU, is just not well made and there have been issues with the mag control rubbing the spool.

Does the Penn hold up well, Yep, I landed a 125 Garbo this fall that was 7' plus on 17lb line at Hatteras. Took a while, but the reel was flawless.

the 525 mag, has the mag control, will get u distance when needed, holds up to the salt imo better, parts are more readaly avalable, and imo better drag and somewhat lighter and a smaller profile

^ what he said