Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Mad Deckhand

There's Nothing Wrong With the Chevy Volt's Battery!

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

I know.....It's sad. Let us join hands in solidarity and wish evil upon the loathsome Volt.

Ever since the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration launched an investigation into post-crash electrical fires in Chevrolet Volts, there’s been a lot of speculation that the advanced lithium-ion batteries used in the Volt and other electrically powered vehicles are too unstable and not ready for mass production.

Hogwash. GM and its battery partner, LG Chem, have tortured that battery to death. They’ve abused it, mutilated it, jarred it, twisted it, and even punctured it with nails. There’s nothing wrong with the Volt or its battery that can’t be fixed with a couple of minor tweaks.

On Thursday, GM said it would add some structural enhancements to the Volt to eliminate any risk that the battery could be damaged in a severe impact. The fix involves adding a steel reinforcement to the existing steel structure around the battery pack so that that protects the battery from impact and a small bracket on the battery coolant reservoir to prevent leakage or overfill. GM will also add a sensor to monitor coolant levels.

In all, the fix will add three or four pounds to the Volt, which shouldn’t affect its electric range much, and can be completed within a few hours at the dealership. The work will start in February on the 8,000 Volts currently in customers’ driveways as well as 4,000 vehicles on their way to dealer lots. The reinforcements will be done at the factory on all Volts produced in the future.

The NHTSA probe began in late November after several fires occurred days or even weeks after a Volt had been involved in a severe, side-impact rollover crash test. GM, which helped with the investigation, found that a minor intrusion in the battery pack combined with a small amount of coolant leaking onto the battery’s electronic circuit board could enable a fire. NHTSA said it appeared that both conditions were necessary in order for a fire to occur.

In a statement, NHTSA said it crashed a Volt retrofitted with GM’s newly designed steel reinforcement device in a side-pole impact test on December 22. The results of that crash test showed no intrusion into the vehicle’s battery compartment, and no coolant leakage was apparent. As a precaution, NHTSA has monitored the crashed vehicle since the test and will continue to do so for one more week. But the agency said the preliminary results of the crash test indicate that GM’s fix should solve the problem.

GM’s North American President Mark Reuss and global engineering chief Mary Barra said the carmaker remains committed to the battery technology behind the Volt and won’t be switching its strategy. “It’s still a halo car for us, and it’s only helping Chevrolet,” said Reuss. “I trust the Volt with the most important thing in the world to me — my family.”

Oh, the excuses yet to be uttered......but, but, but.....it's STILL a turd!!!!

Chevy Volt: Worst Product Of 2011?

http://blog.autoshopper.com/articles/2929/Chevy-Volt-Worst-Product-Of-2011/

Just before the new year rolled around, media outlets 'round the world whiled away the slow holiday hours by putting together all forms of "best of" and "worst of" lists. Sometimes lists were spot on and others were completely insufferable. A report called the "Worst Product Flops of 2011" is a little of both. The report was published by 24/7 Wall Street and republished by Yahoo Finance, making it visible for millions. While the report pinpointed some seriously failed products, it treated the Chevy Volt rather unfairly......

Click link for entire article.

"There’s nothing wrong with the Volt or its battery that can’t be fixed with a couple of minor tweaks."

I grew up around cars- but I would not want that thing parked in my garage with my family sleeping in the house. It should be redesigned, hire some Japanese engineers to straighten it out.

"There’s nothing wrong with the Volt or its battery that can’t be fixed with a couple of minor tweaks."

I grew up around cars- but I would not want that thing parked in my garage with my family sleeping in the house. It should be redesigned, hire some Japanese engineers to straighten it out.

Yup, the car could spontaneously burst into a mushroom cloud. Happens all the time.

....and let's be sure and have zero faith in American ingenuity.

Yup, the car could spontaneously burst into a mushroom cloud. Happens all the time.

American Ingenuity produces the best stuff in the world. It's GM I have zero faith in. My first new car was a Pontiac Grand AM- never ran right. Replaced it after only 20,000 miles with a used Nissan, which ran great and had twice the mileage. Burn me once, you know how the saying goes.

I think the volt is a very nice looking car. Unfortunately, It has achieved Pinto status in record time. The technology should be brought back on a different platform. That's just my opinion.

American Ingenuity produces the best stuff in the world. It's GM I have zero faith in. My first new car was a Pontiac Grand AM- never ran right. Replaced it after only 20,000 miles with a used Nissan, which ran great and had twice the mileage. Burn me once, you know how the saying goes.

I think the volt is a very nice looking car. Unfortunately, It has achieved Pinto status in record time. The technology should be brought back on a different platform. That's just my opinion.

^^^^^ Hogwash. It has achieved 'Pinto' status, because of its politicizing by Fox news - no other reason.

There is nothing wrong with the battery.......period.

The NHTSA probe began in late November after several fires occurred days or even weeks after a Volt had been involved in a severe, side-impact rollover crash test. GM, which helped with the investigation, found that a minor intrusion in the battery pack combined with a small amount of coolant leaking onto the battery’s electronic circuit board could enable a fire. NHTSA said it appeared that both conditions were necessary in order for a fire to occur.

^^^^^ Hogwash. It has achieved 'Pinto' status, because of its politicizing by Fox news - no other reason.

There is nothing wrong with the battery.......period.

Pick a story and stick to it. How many times do you plan to contradict yourself in the same thread? The car is crap. There are hundreds upon hundreds of better car's on the market. Why do you feel compelled to be the lone cheerleader for this waste of taxpayer money? Is it that fierce need to defend all things Obama or something else?

Pick a story and stick to it. How many times do you plan to contradict yourself in the same thread? The car is crap. There are hundreds upon hundreds of better car's on the market. Why do you feel compelled to be the lone cheerleader for this waste of taxpayer money? Is it that fierce need to defend all things Obama or something else?

"There's Nothing Wrong

With the Chevy Volt's Battery!"

Because they can't fix the battery.

Did you even read the damn article?

GM, which helped with the investigation, found that a minor intrusion in the battery pack combined with a small amount of coolant leaking onto the battery’s electronic circuit board could enable a fire. NHTSA said it appeared that both conditions were necessary in order for a fire to occur.

Did you even read the damn article?

GM, which helped with the investigation, found that a minor intrusion in the battery pack combined with a small amount of coolant leaking onto the battery’s electronic circuit board could enable a fire. NHTSA said it appeared that both conditions were necessary in order for a fire to occur.

Are you planning to but a Volt? Do you own one? Why the emotional investment in electric cars? :huh:

Teacher, Teacher!!!! I read the article. "...eight thousand Volts currently in owner's driveways and another four thousand on the way to dealers...", sounds like the public isn't buying this turkey for a good reason; new technology takes a few manufacturing cycles to work the bugs out. People don't need FOX News to tell them that new technology is likely to be quirky.

Structural upgrade to the chassis in the area where the battery is mounted.

sorta like building another building at the Fukushima nuke plant?

it'll still leak but there will be another building around it to make sure nothing leaks out any further.