Mirrolure bulk buy question

Rate this topic

BrianBM

Years ago a bunch of SOLsters got together and put in an order for Mirrolures - I think they were Mirrolures - of a particular purple pattern. I wasn't one of them but I'm curious as to whether it proved worthwhile. Did the company make the lures on schedule and were they worth the effort?

Thank you. I have a Mirrolure that my father used, circa 1950. It'll never see water again, as a sort of family memento, but I did wonder about the net results of the gang's effort.

It's not a lure I've ever seen locally on Long Island, though I'm sure there are guys fishing them.

• 12 years later...

Curious how this worked out.  Most manufactures will not sell direct to consumer, bulk or not.  MirroLure has too many mega dealers down south that would be highly pissed if they did something like that.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

I think Plug (RIP) had to get a minimum of 700.

I still have 4 or 5 in the same box he sent to me. The others are in the rotation.

Note:  4-5 years back -they resumed for a while with one in a 1 oz size.

On 1/6/2012 at 8:23 PM, BrianBM said:

Years ago a bunch of SOLsters got together and put in an order for Mirrolures - I think they were Mirrolures - of a particular purple pattern. I wasn't one of them but I'm curious as to whether it proved worthwhile. Did the company make the lures on schedule and were they worth the effort?

Brian,

You should look up the thread. It answers all of your questions. A unique effort by Plug (RIP) for the larger Purple Demon.

Not Mirrolure but I vaguely remember a similar move to get Cotton Cordell to  release unfinished “bone”  pattern C10 

Redfins. I believe the Saltwater Edge partnered with multiple other shops to place a minimum order for the bone pattern which has since become a standard offering by the manufacturer. 

On 1/6/2012 at 8:23 PM, BrianBM said:

Brian,

It was Hugh R. (aka Plug). He contacted L&S Lures (MirrOLure) for a special order (I believe 500 units at that time). The model was the 72M in Purple Demon (PD) which was an obsolete color at that time in that size. They offered the 77M in PD, but it's heavier and sinks more than we like fishing the tip of the jetties down our way. The key was to allow the lure to sweep the current in the upper water column without hanging on the rocks. I still have a stash I got when Hugh made the order, and they still are damn effective off the jetties around here.

They are particularly effective on Rockfish and tiderunner Trout when they were around late spring/early summer. I still use them in the Chesapeake where our Spec fishery has been doing very well for a quite a few years (I'm sure we are on the downward slope of that cycle).

MirrOLure twitch bait models (now re-numbered and some obsolete).

52M   3-5/8"   1/2oz, approx 1 ft second sink

72M   4-1/4"   3/4 oz or 7/8 oz, sinks just a spec more then 52M in larger profile.

77M   4-1/4"    1-1/4 oz, sinks too quickly, 10' close to 2 ft sec.

Edited by JAL

I owned a dozen or so Mirrolures late 70's early 80's, bought at flea markets and garage sales for $1, never once fished any of them and gave them away a few years back.

They have been around forever and I should have at least given them a try, never even put one in a bag or pocket. Kind of an indestructible little chunk of hard plastic. Many were the old red/head, white body combo, another dog for me, I stopped carry red/white after the Black or Smoky Joe Red Fin amongst others proved superiority, small CC Pikies and Surfsters we're deadly but I never went for the red white combos, it was standard from almost all plug manufacturers. Bomber changed things up a few years later and made a heavy duty light swimmer (16A) with all kinds of colors and finishes, other than dragging arse in low NJ waters sometimes it was the best addition in plugs until the rubber shads appeared. Just my opinion, many loved the red/white design, I just couldn't get lucky enough often enough so they went to hang, gather dust and eventually off to the orphanage (flea market, garage sale).

Regrets. Good post from years back.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

The trick to modifying them was to remove the middle and front metal hook hangers, seal the hanger screw holes, then drill the body in-between the front and middle position to use a screw in eye (dab in a little epoxy), and attach just a front treble with SS split ring.

Black n gold bombers when it flaked  it was either clear or bone.

Some night the more gold missing the more fish.

Put Ona bone , nothing

Goose had some made in bone for us , a bunch of us wanted them, I think I have only 1 left

I looked for the purple demon,  could sworn I had a smaller one

Plug Ho!

bassmaster_skunk.gif