Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whatmeworry

Fishing Kayak Essentials

9 posts in this topic

I am finally about to purchase my first kayak! I decided about a year ago to do it and thought I would wait so I could get have enough money to get my dream kayak, a Hobie with mirage drive. However, I should have just bought the cheapest kayak I could get a year ago because I am no closer to getting a Hobie than I was a year ago and my budget will only get me a Field and Stream Eagle Talon 12. Which is good enough and I dont want to miss out on anymore fishing.

I am going to make a list this weekend of all the things I need to get started and on Sunday will hit New England Small Watercraft and take advantage of a 25% off sale they have on all accessories right now.

So I would love some advice.

I am dividing my list into three levels.

First...Must haves...What do I absolutely have to have before I even think of getting the kayak wet?

Second...Should have...What will I need eventually but dont have to buy right away. Things that you found were quite necessary or maybe just made life a bit easier on the yak.

Third...Would be Nice...What are some things that, again eventually, I might want to splurge on and have on board.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Worth knowing is that I have kayaking experience, just not with kayak fishing. And I live in Salem and will predominately be yakking in the Sound, around Beverly and Marblehead harbors. Trips to Boston Harbor and points south will happen once I feel comfortable with my level of experience. I dont plan on offshore fishing.

Also, besides the obvious stripers from spring into late fall, what can be caught in those waters? I plan on getting out on the first warm day which this winter seems like it is a good possibility even in the next few weeks.

Thanks again guys and I look forward to meeting you some guys out on the water.

Must Have:

PFD

Whistle, compass, waterproof flashlight, mirror

Paddle leash

Should have:

Waterproof vhf radio

Waterproof holder for cell phone and phone

Saltproof knife

Personally, I would not get on the water without all of the above. And you need appropriate clothing for the weather - drysuit, wetsuit, etc.

Enjoy!

1) VHF radio. Life Jacket. Signal or deck light (or ****-ton of glow sticks). Landing net and gaff. Extra paddle and leash. a good hat. rain jacket or dry top. neoprene gloves with or withough fingers (i like the ones with fingers that fold over for tying). two 25ft sections or nylon rope. rod leashes!

2) Fish finder. the Cuda 168's are popular, waterproof and easy to use. Sealed 12v battery. Bait tank or tube (if you fish bait, tanks are nice for alot of bait and tubes are cheap and keep a few Mackerel here on the west side alive all day). Good Breathable waders. you can always add layers under it. Fish tank siphon (put your peeter in the big end and the hose through a scupper, you get the idea). an anchore and aple rope (or a drift sock atleast)

3) trolling motor.

oh and check craigslist and pennysaver for Kayak deals.

First off here’s how I look at it.

1-Life safety, this would include but not be limited too… Whistle, Knife (easy access), PFD, small first aid kit. Proper clothing for temperature, signaling devices (Light, VHS, mirror etc.) Length of nylon cord, Safety devices like leashes for paddle. Some water. Float plan (let someone know where you will be and when to expect you back if alone)

2-conveiace items. This would be extras of items above. Food, water and any meds for your needs. Spare clothing. GPS & battery , Fish finder Sunglasses. Gloves. Anything that you like to carry for your comfort. I like to carry a few meds and snacks with some healthy drinks with me.

3-Fishing items. OK this is the stuff we are here for. I like to carry spare rod or 2, lots of different baits. (never know what will work that day) I carry a stringer for fish if keeping any. Measuring device for fish and a small water proof camera. I like to carry my hard baits in the waterproof plastic boxes to help keep extra saltwater off. This list will be changing with every trip and fish you hunt. I keep a big list that I set up for each trip. I used to think this was a waist but to many times have I left without some thing I wanted because I didn’t check my list.

There’s improvements can be put on this for everyone. This is just what pops into my head sitting here.

Check out the "Kayak fishing FAQ" purple link at the top of the forum, It contains important info for new, and old kayakers.

I ended up shelling out $100 more for a Perception Sport Caster 12.5. I went with it for the fact that it can easily add a rudder and the back can fit a milk crate unlike the Eagle Talon.

I got a floatable VHF radio, fishing PDF, compass, air horn, whistles, 50ft tow rope, maptech waterproof maps of my area, field and stream fiberglass paddle, paddle leash, scupper plugs, scotty rod holder, a good knife and a waterproof and floatable case for my phone and wallet. That should get me started anyway.

Whatmeworry I still have my Perception Caster 12.5. Good little low cost yak. I added and anchor trolley, crate and a rudder and it does just fine. The rudder makes that thing turn on a dime. I kept it after getting the Hobie and still use it for surfing out shark baits and trip when I need a second yak for the wife and kids. It is a wet yak but that's no problem in the summer. In the fall I just plug it and don't take it out thru the surf.