Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Cod fish??

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I will be after the 20th of January... Spig i have been talking to a few Captains and the fish are moving in but not a big puch yet a few weeks and they will make the big push.

I will be in Montauk all of February fishing cod! :D

Well inthat case they are only catching them as a bi-catch... You know the deal, Ling and cod wich really means ling witha a chance of maybe catching a cod.

There is another boat that is a 6 pack and is charging $250 for offshore cod and they have a trip on MLK day with 4 spots available Last Lady Charters...

I never did the trip but it's an option...

I went on a codfish trip today out of Point lookout. Just as Rusty said its mostly Ling with a few cod mixed in right now(approx 25 cod and all the Ling you wanted today for 21 fares) I'd wait until the water gets colder in February then its on.

I hit the J2 for their cod trip yesterday. We fished 30-50 miles offshore. It was just a pick. I had 4 keepers up to 8 lbs. along with 3-4 shorts. There were some huge chops and some ling too. On the last drop, we hit a ling wreck and everyone put some ling in the box. I had around 20. Dogs killed us yesterday, they were even crushing the low hook making it harder to focus on catching ling.

As far as cod, there was a decent showing around the boat. Not sure of the keeper count but high hook had 6 or 7 and the pool was in the low 20s I'd say. Most people who had a clue had one or two. There may have been more cod on the wrecks that the dogs kept from biting. The water is still too warm for big numbers of cod, there hasn't been too much movement from the north yet like last year. The water was much colder last year and there was much more bait present offshore. But it is only a matter of time, macks and herring are starting to show, the water just needs to drop a few degrees now and we should start to see more cod moving to the south. The warm temps are also keeping the dogs around too even inshore too on the tog grounds.

Do you really know every1 in Md?:)

Read this thread and see how many guys chose ling over blackfish for example or over a striper...

In my opinion it is tasteless...

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/829862/whats-your-favorite-fish-to-eat

thats because most of those people have never eaten a ling let alone ever even seen one! ling are pretty delicious but taste is a personal thing so whatever.