Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dab

Jersey surf fishing 2011.

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

In your opinion.What do you think about the striper fishing along the beaches of New Jersey during the 2011 season.

To me it was an excellent year.The spring we had a good run of large bass.and the fall got off to a slow start but really turned on.Just wondered how many of you guys felt the same way.

More of a day bite this year then usual

Spring was late and tough. The early spring bite in March and April was the worst I've ever seen.

Summer bass were non-existent

Fall was also late getting going and ended up being mostly a dawn and day bite.

With the exception of about two weeks, fall river bite completely sucked.

For people who dislike fishing in the daylight with 10,000 of your best freinds, this was a less then stellar year

Spring caused a lot of frustration....I mean, I did catch my share of bass but the times that I knew there were "large" in the area, I couldnt pull through. Came upon a massive school of bunker at night but all I got that one night was drag screaming on a livelined bunker and then it went slack... lost the whole rig, hook, bunker, leader everything. Lost my snag hook that night too, all I ended up with were about 10 bunker for bait and no hooks... There must've been at least 6-7 occasions where I could literally see decent sized bass directly in front of me and watched them chase the lures and turn off, as soon as someone showed up with bait that morning it was fish on.

Summer was awesome....saw a few doormats, bass and blues here and there, nothing massive. Had bass and blues on pencils for at least 2 weeks on a good cycle...

Fall was epic from September till now.....I think its still going on... the thing that put a damper on the run was when we had the hurricane...it stopped action for a good 2 weeks for me...

Caught a 40+lb cownose ray on a boat while fluking....and that was super fun.

I really havent figured out the spring plugging game unless its a blitz....and thats so .....i guess depressing would be the best word here.

I need help with night time spring plugging.....could there have been a shrimp/worm hatch and my offerings were too big? :confused:

I feel like spring is a bait and wait game..:(

More of a day bite this year then usual

Spring was late and tough. The early spring bite in March and April was the worst I've ever seen.

Summer bass were non-existent

Fall was also late getting going and ended up being mostly a dawn and day bite.

With the exception of about two weeks, fall river bite completely sucked.

For people who dislike fishing in the daylight with 10,000 of your best freinds, this was a less then stellar year

We have a winner. Dead on.

Only thing missing was most of the best action in late fall was limited to about a 20 mile stretch of beach, strange year. Bad year for swimming plugs, it was metal, needles and teasers with most fish at the end of the cast, most fish on metal. Night bite sucked (8PM -2AM) but 2-3 hours before daylight when it was dark was better than most thought, it was a good time to bend the rod without a crowd. Anyway, nice flourish at the end but all in all, bleh!

Anyone have a list of the largest bass taken in NJ from the surf on an artificial?

This year sucked for me. Spring was tough, I gave up on the RB clam bite after the 3rd or 4th skunk night when thought I had the tides, weather, wind and water temps lined up. Switched to FW and nailed huge prespawn largemouths day after day but that's second nature to me at this point so it gets boring.

As usual I missed out on all the bunker blitzes, except the one at pier village in June that the boats pushed down before I had a chance to clip on my pencil. I expect not to get in on this action working M-F 8-5 70 miles away in rockland county and only being able to fish weekends. Might take a few mid-week days off this year though. Tried to reproduce my may-june night time river bite that I figured out over the last two years, but that didn't happen.

Summer I got a lot of fluke some nice size too. No bass out front at night though.

This was my worst fall ever. Fished 2-3 nights a week out front nomoco from september and october with almost nothing to show for it. I found out after the freak snowstorm that all the action was way out back, by then it was too late.

November was good as long as I drove further south and was on the beach at 5:30 am. Bite was over by 9. I lived in my truck at IBSP for the entire Thanksgiving weekend and fished day and night. Finally got into some nice fish but the day time googan fest is not my cup of tea, I prefer night time. December I moved further north to familiar territory, last Sunday was a good day for me, but I think I'm done for this year.

Hopefully 2012 is better.

I really havent figured out the spring plugging game unless its a blitz....and thats so .....i guess depressing would be the best word here.

I need help with night time spring plugging.....could there have been a shrimp/worm hatch and my offerings were too big? :confused:

I feel like spring is a bait and wait game..:(

Same here. I wish I could figure out how to get bass on plugs out front in the spring. They blitz up and down the beach during the day so they have to be there at night.

Right? :confused:

Same here. I wish I could figure out how to get bass on plugs out front in the spring. They blitz up and down the beach during the day so they have to be there at night.

Right? :confused:

Its easy in daylight, toss a popper/ pencil at blitzing fish.....at night its a joke. I was walking a few miles one evening into night and talking to a guy who said the fishing was awesome, so I politely asked if I could fish near him and he said "you're the only person I've seen all day here, go for it"...so I start casting everything in the bag and got skunked bad. Dude went home with 2 30+lb'ers....and caught a crap ton of 20lb+ fish throwing bunker out front. It was only me and him on the beach that day.

edit:

Im going to focus more on throwing bunks this spring and thats it....maybe eels too....but thats it.

All you need in the spring is:

Contacts ( if you a club member, or friends)

Cell phone ( smartphone, or better)

Binoculars ( the ones you can see far, very far)

and a tank full of gas. (Super, no regular)

All you need in the spring is:

Contacts ( if you a club member, or friends)

Cell phone ( smartphone, or better)

Binoculars ( the ones you can see far, very far)

and a tank full of gas. (Super, no regular)

Subscription to SOL for reports chasing...

Anyone have a list of the largest bass taken in NJ from the surf on an artificial?

The list of the leaders from the striper cup is a good barometer of the large taken. Shawnny's {the situation) 52#. was the largest I saw this year.

We have a winner. Dead on.

Only thing missing was most of the best action in late fall was limited to about a 20 mile stretch of beach, strange year. Bad year for swimming plugs, it was metal, needles and teasers with most fish at the end of the cast, most fish on metal. Night bite sucked (8PM -2AM) but 2-3 hours before daylight when it was dark was better than most thought, it was a good time to bend the rod without a crowd. Anyway, nice flourish at the end but all in all, bleh!

i moved back mid august. in five years prior i only d like 10 total trips in the surf i NJ and New england chasing bass so my best basis for comparison is from the fall of '06(i didnt get teh hook pass in '11). thing from august to mid september were pretty standard for me and the way i fish. i gad a few very good nights inside on a consistent bite for a couple weeks and lucked in to a couple of very ood night bites. october i only fished 12 times and averaged 1 fish an hour which is pretty bad. then it got worse in november until the week before thanksgiving. that was a good week as the fish were still working their way south. after thanksgiving in the areas i fish it ws tough at best and my average went down to about 1 fish every two hours. in '06 my average was 2.5 fish an hour. i never drove south of manasquan which is why my numbers are low. years past though i could still squeak 8-10 fish on a full night of fishing in bad conditions in the month of november and that didnt happen except for a couple nights.

personally i am ok with my fall because i got to knock some of the rust off. looking forward to the spring and a couple of the night plugging spots i enjoy and maybe fishing with some "new" friends.

I had a decent spring,that got better as the bunkies arived,not as good as the last 2 years.No or very few blues in the bay inlet or surf this spring.Summer was OK,but the lack of structure in my central ocean co made it uninspiring.We had a good mullet run,with some bass from time to time :squid:

Then came November,the best 6 weeks( I know) I can remember in any fall,especially the quality.Unfourtionatly it was concentrated in a limited location,but was some awesome fishing.

I can remember falls with more fish,but not better quality.The Crazy crowds around Thanksgiving were a sight to behold(or run away from ;) ),But the fishing was better before and after. With a nice post Christmas surprise

But it's all over now ;)

Overall a great year. The early March clam bite was slow and stalled through April with the fish never moving to the east in any numbers leaving the clam bite out front a slow pic at best overall.It seemed the cold winter of last kept the local fishery in the early March mode right into May.Second year in a row absent of the tiderunners,Very disappointing. The bunka bite started on schedule and seemed to hold bigger fish than years past over all with the average seeming to be 28-32# with a good amount of low to mid forties but fewer 50's than the last few years. The summer crab bite was waaay off but saw some smaller fish taken in low numbers. I don't flattie fish so no comment. The late summer/early fall is when I head east and their run was slower than I've seen in decades . Yes fish were taken and Bruno seemed to find the cows but overall it was a disappointment. The local fall run was late and focused a bit to the south but was the best fall (locally) that I can remember. It seemed the large of the fall that disappeared the year the spring breeders came are back and running tighter to the beach again,making them accessible to us not only the boat crowd. The warm weather has kept it productive even now with teenagers still around in numbers. That is how my 2011 went and I'm still smiling.

Spring this year(2011) was the same for me as the last few years. Very few fish and a real lack of the 14" - 18" fish. Maybe next year I need to follow the bunker :)

I didn't even try the bay for weakfish, which I use to chase all spring and summer. Seems to be a real down cycle :( Crabbing was excellent, maybe a result of fewer crab eating weaks. :confused:

Summer on the beach once again was very productive for fluke on bucktails and gulp. Lot's of tiny snappers showed up early and destroyed my gulp supply, but when cut into strips they proved to be a great bait for more snappers and fluke.

Early fall started to catch a few tiny bass on the fluke baits and even a few that I targeted. Some as small as 13" but there weren't many.

Fall seemed to be the year of the sandbar, open ocean, ava and teaser fishing. Areas around Seaside and IBSP had a real lack of structure. I didn't fish the way I like too, very often. I prefer stalking holes and cuts fishing small plugs in the dark or low light conditions. Late fall I did pretty good on needles, rubber and weighted plugs. If I had enough water to fill the few available holes I could catch on small rebels and mambos and it was surprising the size of some of these fish and they could sometimes be found at high noon and tight to the sand.

For me anyway there was a real lack of bluefish on the beach, I only remember catching a few this fall.

Over all the fall started late for me but I caught a bunch of bass due to the abundance of sandeels holding in my area. I caught and tagged bass to 39". Lot of really nice sized fish and not 1 was caught on metal :th: