Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Here's a checklist of....

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

...fish catches that aren't that common, but does happen sometimes (by no means rare) - answer yes, no if you'd done these - or if you can think of others, feel free to add

Fluke at night

Fluke on the surface

Albie at night

Any fish on a rod and reel...but the fish wasn't hooked (can either have been wrapped in the line or bit a hookless lure and refused to let go)

Two blues on one plug (at the same time)

Striper on a french fry (or any legit gamefish on 'normal' human food - sandwiches, chicken, etc...and nothing that can also double as bait, such as squid, smelt, etc)

Any fish literally beach itself while chasing your lure/bait (meaning there was no fight - you simply picked the fish up out of the sand)

Winter flounder and fluke on the same trip

Catch a tuna on a codfish party/head boat (not including albies or bonito)

Catch a shark on a codfish party/head boat (not including doggies)

Can claim to have caught the same saltwater species at distances of 1500 miles or greater between catches (I hope it's obvious I don't mean on the same trip...LOL)

Caught a holdover saltwater 'gamefish' that wasn't a striped bass

I'll stop there, but will add more when I think of them:-)

Some of the biggest Fluke ( everything is called flounder down here):huh: and the biggest i ever caught was caught at night livelining a 7 inch mullet, they grow to huge sizes in the backwaters down here and 10 + pounders along with many topping 14 are not uncommon at all. They are smart cookies, and i usually have to go down to a size 1 or 2/0 hook to fool them because they won't touch anything unless your presentation is near perfect. At night it's somewhat easier.

Now, on the surface, the fish sky themselves throughout the fall periods due to the mass schools of baitfish that hug the shoreline grass, and the water is usually less than a foot deep. The fish caught here can be taken on live and many types of artificials, especially small jointed topwaters like repalas, they smash these coming high out of the water with a distinctive flop.

Fluke on a fly at night

Fluke on a RedFin

Triple header----Bass on a diamond jig/Blue on the teaser/second Blue trying to eat first blue, lifted onto the deck of the boat before letting go

Striper hooked through the loop of a Littorial Society tag in back using a RedFin

36in Striper caught with a RedFin with another Striper half way down its gut

30lb Striper caught while trolling through the eye of a barrel swivel hanging out its mouth at end of a old wire leader with a plug

Blues on poppers with no hooks

Two Blues on one Gibbs popper. 

Cod on green crabs while togging.

28# bass on a bucktail hair teaser tipped with spearing while fluking. Only fish to take me around my CC while inshore fishing. Was using 6# braid on a Calcutta TE 250 reel. A ton of fun!

Chunker bunker one night, got a hit and reeled in a decent blue. Relized my hook got snagged on someone eleses sinker that was hanging out of the blues mouth. Also got a big star gazer on a bucktail and my buddy got one on an x rap

On January 1st I was on a headboat in Florida bottom fishing for Red Snapper. One of the mates threw a handful of fish scraps off the cleaning table into the water and a few Blackfin Tuna surfaced, one of them was hooked and fought for 20 minutes. The line then got tangled and someones braid ate into the line with the tuna on it, cutting it. After yelling at the guy using braid, one of the mates pulled up a big knot of 3 or 4 fishing lines. The line that broke off STILL had the tuna on it! They were able to get the blackfin to the boat by hand and gaff it within a few seconds. Easily the craziest thing I've seen while fishing.

Picture of the fish:

[img=

My father caught a Black Sea Bass while fishing out of Ocean City, Maryland and also caught a few off of Port Canaveral, Florida.

I once caught the same Largemouth in the same spot using the same lure two days in a row. I know it's the same because it was the same length, weight, and I could tell that it was hooked previously. Picture:

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd480/quackSH/7c3995ca.jpg]

I almost caught a Bullhead Catfish on a small piece of hot dog.

Did these:

Fluke at night

Fluke on the surface

Any fish on a rod and reel...but the fish wasn't hooked (can either have been wrapped in the line or bit a hookless lure and refused to let go)

Two blues on one plug (at the same time)

Striper on a french fry (or any legit gamefish on 'normal' human food - sandwiches, chicken, etc..

Winter flounder and fluke on the same trip

Catch a tuna on a codfish party/head boat (not including albies or bonito)

Catch a shark on a codfish party/head boat (not including doggies)

Can claim to have caught the same saltwater species at distances of 1500 miles or greater between catches (I hope it's obvious I don't mean on the same trip...LOL)

pogies wrapped in the line

Bloos in RI and FL ;)

pogies wrapped in the line

Striper on a french fry (or any legit gamefish on 'normal' human food - sandwiches, chicken, etc...and nothing that can also double as bait, such as squid, smelt, etc)

bluegills on cheese and bread....who hasn't done that haha

Cod while fluking less than 2 miles from shore?