Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandcrab

Penn Fathom reels - The new guy on the block...

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I did a search and could not find any posts about using the Penn Fathom reels from the surf. I was looking for one to match up with the 10' 6" Breakaway Omega conventional rod that I am building. Was thinking about the size 12 or 15 model to keep it light for casting lures/bait in the 2-6 oz range...

Any have or use one for surf fishing DE or MD?

Sandcrab

Preliminary report, I haven't cast it yet.

I have one that I won in a tournament. Seems like a successor to the 525 with a centrifugal braking system rather then a magnetic system. This should mean that it will cast with better control but with a little less distance. (do a search on "Brake systems of casting reels")

The offset handle should offer more cranking power

Overall it feels good in my hands

Currently deciding whether to put line on it or not (No level wind and I prefer level wind)

I rcvd the size 12 reel. It is too small for my surf rod. Sent it back for the 25 size. The spool on them just spins and spins forever! Good construction. We'll see how it does at Assateague with 17# mono this Spring...

Sandcrab

I know it's not the same application, but I have a 25N and used it vertical jigging and bottom fishing in the Keys. It's still a very new reel, but it's worked well the few days I've fished it. Smooth drag and good cranking power while fishing ~14lbs of drag.