Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
biggstriper

How many here have hit a deer with thier car?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Three guys I work with have hit one recently and severely damaged thier cars. One just had it happen this week. It's got me kinda worried cause there's no way to prevent it from happening to you.

I hit one, more like ran it over. Was coming home from fishing and this a hole was tailgating me. I was looking in my side mirror to see how close he was when I hear my biddy say whoa and see him pointing at something. Next thing I know, there's doe right in front of my truck, a s10 blazer. I barely had time to take my foot off the gas, let alone hit the brakes, before I hit the deer. The thing went down and I went right over it with all 4 wheels. I kept an eye on my gauges all the way to my buddy's place. Only damage I had were two dents in the bumper. :D

last year I was following a Dodge Ram on the highway 70mph he hit the deer took out his bumper,grill and front drivers fender. My car got completely splattered and the deer flew into the woods over 40 feet away.

as always we were driving the left lane :D

Going south on 206 @70MPH and one ran in front of the left bumper then bounced into the air and was creamed by a northbound semi. Stopped to check it out and found the head was torn off and about 150 ft from the bag of jello which was the carcass. All I got was a little hair.

Here on APG, MD there's deer all over the place. Every night after dark I jog three miles and they just stand next to the side of the road and watch me most of the time. Sometimes even if I run before dark. I'm sure I could set up a stand and pick them off from 10 or 20 yards without any problem.

I hit one some years back it took out a new custom rod rack but saved my truck! Since I have lifted the truck 6" suspension and 3" body and hit one last year and went over it like a monster truck :D. Did'nt feel a thing just heard it going under the truck and out the back. O done to my rack which stays on year round and O to the truck button buck not so much. :shock:

I hit a pygmy piney deer on my way to the boat at 3 AM. Ran over it with 2 tires. No damage, my truck has a lot of clearance. It sure woke me up though.

Going south on 206 @70MPH and one ran in front of the left bumper then bounced into the air and was creamed by a northbound semi. Stopped to check it out and found the head was torn off and about 150 ft from the bag of jello which was the carcass. All I got was a little hair.

I saw something similar happen on I-95 south of New Brunswick last fall. I was heading south and a buck ran about a block in front of me to the other lane. He jumped over the median and immediately was hit by a compact car. I saw one of it's legs fly in the air and as I passed the other car I saw steam coming out from the car's radiator. No idea if the car got rear-ended or not.

Scary! :shock:

Three guys I work with have hit one recently and severely damaged thier cars. One just had it happen this week. It's got me kinda worried cause there's no way to prevent it from happening to you.

I almost hit a deer while driving my car and also while riding my motorcycle.

I avoid driving at night.

In this town, more than I can count. I now count the incidents where the deer hit ME. Once, while driving in the more rural part of town, I had a deer running besides my SUV, and then it turned, and ran right into the side of my vehicle. You should have seen it bounce. It left a dent. It managed to stagger off.

But my two scariest incidents happened while riding my bicycle. Once, as I came to my hardest road crossing, three deer came bounding out of an area where I never would have expected them, cut me off, and made me fall sideways. They leapt at speed across a busy state road, none the worse for wear. I got off of the pavement, and it took me 5 minutes to find a break in traffic to get across myself. How the deer did it without getting splattered, I'll never know.

Another time, while riding down near the beach, my peripheral vision picked up something peculiar to my side. I looked sideways, and there was a huge 8 point buck running besides me. I slammed the bicycles brakes to avoid a repeat performance of my other incident, and when I did, the deer stopped too. He looked at me funny, then bounded back into the phragmite swamps. :scared:

Then there was the time a wild turkey slammed into my helmeted head while riding, but you asked about deer, so I won't delve into further detail. ;)