Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TatonkaJames

Caucus Vote Counter Says Romney Mistakenly Given 20 Votes

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Caucus night was chaotic in many places, with hundreds of voters, candidates showing up and the throngs of media who followed. The world's eyes were on Iowa. But in the quiet town of Moulton, Appanoose County, a caucus of 53 people may just blow up the results.

Edward True, 28, of Moulton, said he helped count the votes and jotted the results down on a piece of paper to post to his ******** page. He said when he checked to make sure the Republican Party of Iowa got the count right, he said he was shocked to find they hadn't.

"When Mitt Romney won Iowa by eight votes and I've got a 20-vote discrepancy here, that right there says Rick Santorum won Iowa," True said. "Not Mitt Romney."

True said at his 53-person caucus at the Garrett Memorial Library, Romney received two votes. According to the Iowa Republican Party's website, True's precinct cast 22 votes for Romney.

"This is huge," True said. "It essentially changes who won."

A spokeswoman with the Iowa Republican Party said True is not a precinct captain and he's not a county chairperson so he has no business talking about election results. She also said the party would not be giving interviews about possible discrepancies until the caucus vote is certified.

KCCI political analyst Dennis Goldford said even if the caucus results are wrong, it's not the end of the world.

This will make Iowa look a little foolish in the eyes of the rest of the country, which already questions the seriousness of the caucuses," Goldford said. But in terms of Santorum's results here, the Caucuses have made him a player in presidential politics and if he should nudge ahead of Gov. Romney for the final certified result that's really not going to make any significant difference at this point."

True -- who said he's a Ron Paul supporter -- hopes it was a simple mistake.

"I imagine it's a good possibility that somebody instead of hitting 2 might have hit 22 by accident," True said. "I hope so."

But he said he won't stop talking about it until the state -- by his count -- gets the numbers right.

"Numbers that I personally witnessed being counted and assisted in counting and am certain are right," he said.

Iowa Republican Party Chairman Matt Strawn said late Thursday that the party headquarters spoke with Appanoose County Republican officials and they do not have any reason to believe the final, certified results of the county will change the outcome of Tuesday's vote.

Reached a short time later, True said he is absolutely certain his numbers are correct and he stands by his statement. True said he confirmed his numbers with his precinct captain and his county party chairman.

KCCI left a message for the Appanoose Republican party chairman on Thursday afternoon. The call has yet to be returned.

True reiterated Thursday night that he is 100-percent certain that his figures from that night were correct. He said he has checked with his precinct chairman and the GOP county chairman and they confirmed his numbers.

KCCI has not had a chance to confirm his statement with those county party officials.

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/30144582/detail.html#ixzz1ieiGPwqx

WINDHAM, N.H. -- Former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum said he was "not surprised to hear" that the vote total for ex-Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney may have been overcounted by 20 in the final tally of Iowa caucus-goers, but both he and his campaign were declining to weigh in on the story that broke Thursday night.

Speaking to a large gathering of New Hampshire voters at Windham High School, the Pennsylvania Republican said he was unaware that a local television station in Iowa had aired a report on a potential vote count discrepancy that would alter the winner of the caucus two days ago.

The station, KCCI, reported that in Appanoose County, a vote-counter had discovered an inconsistency between the number of the 50 votes he had monitored and what the Republican Party of Iowa had recorded.

"When Mitt Romney won Iowa by eight votes and I've got a 20-vote discrepancy here, that right there says Rick Santorum won Iowa," said the vote-counter, Edward True, 28. "Not Mitt Romney."

A spokeswoman with the Iowa Republican Party did not immediately address True's assertion, but stressed that he was not a precinct captain and was not authorized to discuss the vote. The 20-vote discrepancy remained, late Thursday, unconfirmed.

But by the time Santorum had left the stage, word had gotten to him and his aides that he may have been the winner of the Iowa caucus after all. Asked for reaction by the Huffington Post, he replied:

"We were ahead and they told us that 20 votes were undercounted for Romney and that's what changed it. So, I'm not surprised to hear that. We will see what happens."

[uPDATE - 11:59 p.m. ET] - Appearing Thursday night on Fox News' "On The Record with Greta Van Susteren," Santorum downplayed the significance of the potential vote-counting error:

VAN SUSTEREN: It's being reported a couple places, unconfirmed at this point, but everybody's talking and chatting about it, so I want to ask you, that there may have been a vote count problem in Iowa, and that perhaps it was not an eight-vote loss for you but that you may have come out number one. I'm not so sure how significant it is, but I'm curious what your reaction -- if, indeed, it does turn out to be true that you won by a handful of votes.

SANTORUM: Well, here's what I know. Having talked to the chairman of the -- Matt Strawn, who's the chairman of the Iowa -- Republican Party of Iowa, that all these counties are going to be reporting in. They're going to be certifying them, that there was one county where there was a 20-vote mistake in my favor, but there was a 21-vote mistake vote in Romney's favor. So it actually netted out to what I understand is a one-vote difference. But there will be, without question, given the lateness of the hour and the hectic-ness that comes with turning in these -- these numbers, there will be different -- there will be changes. And with eight votes, or now nine votes difference, there may be some. But that doesn't really matter to me. I mean, we -- you know, we -- this was a tie.

In addition, Iowa GOP Chairman Matt Strawn released the following statement on Thursday night:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

January 5, 2011

Statement from Iowa GOP Chairman Matt Strawn Regarding Appanoose County Caucus Results

Des Moines -

Iowa GOP Chairman Matt Strawn statement regarding Appanoose County caucus results:

"Iowa GOP rules provide for a two-week certification process for each of the 1,774 precincts. The Iowa GOP will announce the final, certified results of the 2012 Iowa Causes following this process. Out of respect to the candidates involved, party officials we will not respond to every rumor, innuendo or allegation during the two week process. That said, Iowa GOP officials have been in contact with Appanoose County Republican officials tonight and do not have any reason to believe the final, certified results of Appanoose County will change the outcome of Tuesday's vote."

Paid for by the Republican Party of Iowa and Not Authorized by any Candidate or Candidate's Committee

First he dodges the draft, then he ties a dog onto the top of the family station wagon! Does anyone doubt that a man of Romney's moral fiber would steal 20 votes? :)

First he dodges the draft, then he ties a dog onto the top of the family station wagon! Does anyone doubt that a man of Romney's moral fiber would steal 20 votes? :)

Yup.....that's how rich people dodged the draft.

His dog? I dunno.....proly crap.

The whole twenty votes thing? Sounds kind of weird - poor job by the election people, but, hey - if an election is that close, things like this are bound to happen. I say that people should get over it already - let the game be decided by the field judges.

We should maybe have a law, where if an election comes down to 250 votes or less - it should be considered a tie?

Yup.....that's how rich people dodged the draft.

His dog? I dunno.....proly crap.

The whole twenty votes thing? Sounds kind of weird - poor job by the election people, but, hey - if an election is that close, things like this are bound to happen. I say that people should get over it already - let the game be decided by the field judges.

We should maybe have a law, where if an election comes down to 250 votes or less - it should be considered a tie?

DH, Your attitude toward canines is deplorable!!!! Are you, sir, as heartless toward dogs as Mr. Romney himself? Cad! ;)

This is a TJ thread. I don't think he gives a damn either way. Is it his peculiar obsession with Romney or has TJ become a Santorum supporter? The mystery deepens......:squid:

Rick S came out last night and said he had heard about this, but also heard that there were some miscounts in both directions - and that the net result (so far) is that he actually lost by one additional vote (9 instead of 8)

I could have told you something was :huh: about the vote totals.

you look at the one website that was posting the results and you would have seen 99% of the counties reported the votes.

You'd see the vote totals.

Then, the next morning, you saw 100% of the counties reported the votes.

You'd see the same vote totals.

So, why are Dems getting all orgasmic about this claim? Has it been proven? Are we absoultely certain that this isn't just one more instance of some yahoo looking for his 15 minutes of fame? And, even if it is true, how can the whining weenies be certain that Romney is personally responsible? Really, you guys are a hoot!

So, why are Dems getting all orgasmic about this claim? Has it been proven? Are we absoultely certain that this isn't just one more instance of some yahoo looking for his 15 minutes of fame? And, even if it is true, how can the whining weenies be certain that Romney is personally responsible? Really, you guys are a hoot!

Seems like you're the one talking about Dems. :laugh: Even Brown Juice was talking to the media about this. It's always gotta be a D vs R thing in the PG forum huh ? :kook:

Relax ladies, just reporting the news, this has as much relevance in the PG forum as Michelle O's big arse thread.

SINNER!!!!

The M.Obama thread was a deeply moving, cathartic, MASTERPIECE!

It's a sad day and age when young scalawags such as yourself can take the name of the BUTT thread in vain.

I'm glad my hamster isn't alive to see this.....