Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atomicflatulenc

Used VS150 advice

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

It is best to get the serial number when buying used, that way you can contact VanStaal and get the service record which goes a long ways when making the decision to drop the coin on one.. VS hold their value very well and about the lowest I have seen them go for was around $500-$550.

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIGHT STRIKES View Post

It is best to get the serial number when buying used, that way you can contact VanStaal and get the service record which goes a long ways when making the decision to drop the coin on one.. VS hold their value very well and about the lowest I have seen them go for was around $500-$550.

Steve

icon14.gif

Before I would spend $500-$550 on a used reel I would buy a new one for $699 unless I got a deal for have of new price. Just my opinion.

I got my 150 used for $425 four years ago. You can find some really good deals. My only concern would be if the reel was stolen.

Be careful buying these reels used. Its almost not worth it. If there are bad seals or bearings you could be paying $$$$ in which case you could've got your own brand new. Unless you know how to re-build them you're better off buying new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicflatulenc View Post

He's asking half price actually. 

Im worried he's gonna try and roll me for my cash when I show up.  Need tofind some backup. LoL...no seriously. 

I do all my cash transactions in a very public place, like coffee store.  Make sure you can see it, take it out of the box, play around with it before actually handing the cash over.  Even better, ask if you can take the reel cover off to see if there are any signs of water damage/corrosion.  I'm no reel expert but those are the minimum things I would do before buying a used reel, especially of that price.  

If you buy a reel like a VS from a friend and you know where its been and any problems its had, then that's a different story. I would definitely not buy one from a stranger no matter what the condition. Its just not worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fly By Nite View Post

If you buy a reel like a VS from a friend and you know where its been and any problems its had, then that's a different story. I would definitely not buy one from a stranger no matter what the condition. Its just not worth it.

I would buy from strangers because there are some good deals to be had out there, but would only buy from a site like this or ebay where you could get an idea of the sellers reputation.   I would buy stuff from this site, but only from what I deem as an "experienced" member(eg. non-new members like myselfsmile.gif, actively participates in the forums, member status, etc.).

Those reels have seen little change over decades really with the price tripling. That makes the new and the old equal. I believe it depends on the kind of person you are regarding new or used. There is money to be saved by going used but many have troubles spending that much and not having the security of a warranty. I own both used and new and have had luck to date. I can say they are built to last so for me it is worth going used. This is another "no right or wrong " but only preference.

Good Luck JC

Those reels have seen little change over decades really with the price tripling. That makes the new and the old equal. I believe it depends on the kind of person you are regarding new or used. There is money to be saved by going used but many have troubles spending that much and not having the security of a warranty. I own both used and new and have had luck to date. I can say they are built to last so for me it is worth going used. This is another "no right or wrong " but only preference.

Good Luck JC

i agree. i have only bought them used, luckily with 0 issues. not sure i even reached the price of one new on yet :D

I've bought a few used and haven't been hosed yet. If you're worried about getting held up for cash go with a friend in a public place. If he wants to meet in an alleyway you know you've got problems.